ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Movie Collector 5 released

<< < (6/8) > >>

Darwin:
Thanks Carl!

TucknDar:
Well, I'll be...

I've been fairly critical of Collectorz.com and their unresponsiveness to feature requests and all, but it does seem like either I've caught them on bad days or they've changed.

One of the major disappointments I had with version 5 of Movie Collector was the lack of multi-disc support, and the response I got when complaining about it was this:
here's an explanation of why we didn't (and probably never will) add [multi-disc]
(...)-Alwin Hoogerdijk (Wed May 02, 2007 8:49 am)
--- End quote ---
Guess it'll never happen, but...

... I still did some arguing and I also created some mock screenshots with explanations (obviously with the aid of Screenshot Captor (and GIMP) :D ) on how I pictured this feature, and lo and behold:
Mmm, that is a great idea.
(...)
Anway, I have just discussed this multi-disc stuff with Mark-Jan and Bernard and I am happy to tell you that we have decided to go for it.
So version 5.1 will finally have multi-disc support, at least the basics of it (episodes, features and storage data per disc). Then we may expand on it later based on user feedback.-Alwin Hoogerdijk (Thu May 10, 2007 11:30 am)
--- End quote ---

They've also decided to improve their box set support, based on several users' feedback (obviously including my complaints ;) ).

So in the end, while I still think Collectorz.com didn't handle the new upgrade scheme all too well, at least they've actually impressed with me with the way they've handled these requests, ideas and complaints about some much wanted features :up: I think I've actually regained my trust and respect of the company.

It still remains to be seen how well they'll implement this, but just doing it is a giant leap IMO.

Grorgy:
Well tuckndar, seems to me you should ask for a commission on sales from their new found wealth if they incorporate your ideas  ;D

Cloq:
Well done, cthorpe  :up:

I am all for supporting shareware authors and I actually prefer shareware programs over commercial ones any day.

On that note, typically when shareware authors offer lifetime licenses, it is to build a customer base/following whatever you may want to call it. After an X amount of time it would be in their best interest to change the model to a pay as you go (discounts for upgrades), with one MAJOR exception, grandfather your charter lifetime customers and let them keep their lifetime license for future revisions/upgrades. After all, they are the ones that typically spread the good name (sometimes bad) of the program and provided the seed money. 

Ad Muncher is a classic example of how it should be done. They started with a lifetime license model and (correct me if I am wrong) late last year, switched to the pay as you go model (with discounts for major upgrades).  What made them stand out is that they honored their lifetime license members and continue to do so. :Thmbsup: :-*

If I had more computers, I wouldn't hesistate to purchase more licenses from them even though current licenses are pay as you go. That is how much I respect and love their program, that and they have an excellent support forum.... second to DC of course.  ;)

Darwin:
Just to note, Collectorz.com IS grandfathering their lifetime licence holders. Most people have three main issues with what happened, though: 1. the policy change was not announced in any way to their user base, 2. very little effort was made to change the website and the information on it to reflect the change (like a banner announcing it!) and 3. people who DID deserve a free upgrade to Movie Collector 5 courtesy of having purchased lifetime licences were charged anyway and only found out that they had been eligible by reading the user forums. Users that don't go near the forums are probably still in the dark.

So, it is not so much that collectorz.com "pulled a fast one" as it is that they didn't set things up for the transition very well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version