ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

To Vista or not to Vista that is the ?

<< < (6/12) > >>

Grorgy:
thanks for the replies, nlite seems the way to go, vlite appears to be for vista and i havent got around to buying it to break yet lol.  thanks again much appreciated

Hirudin:
If you have the system up and running right now, it's possible the updates are somewhere on your HDD. If you can find them and burn them or something it would save a lot of time. Might be worth a lil' research to not have to DL them again.

f0dder:
There's always vLite, but I have never touched it.
-justice (May 03, 2007, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
...Which is NuHi's, the author of nLite, new program to tweak vista :)

Ampa:
Had my first experience of Vista this last week (my girlfriend's laptop came with it installed).

Pros...

* it is very pretty.
Cons...

* On a brand new dual core laptop it felt slow.Just deleting things to the recycle bin took an age, while the pretty animation ran, and the glowing windows faded in and out, and the clever algorithm told me in a friendly manner that it was going to take less than 1 second to delete my text file.

* Incompatible softwareOut of four alternative media players that I tried (MPlayer UI, Media Player Clasic, VLC and GOM) none were properly compatible, all crashed with one media file or another.
Comodo Firewall didn't work, nor did SketchUp.

* Unstable - I blue screened the system twice

* Couldn't find ways to disable elements of the UI that we didn't like (eg favourites, within Explorer)

nLite is great, give it a try - I am using it as I type to create a WinXP cinfigured to my requirements.[/list]

Hirudin:
Hmmm... doesn't sound too good. Personally, I wouldn't read into the problems you experienced too much.

Odd that deleting a txt file would take so long. It would be pretty hard to believe that they screwed up deleting... I mean, MS would have to be pretty stupid to have it work perfectly since DOS, but somehow muck it up in Vista. I'd say it's more likely that the computer you were on was jacked up somehow. Maybe some stupid crap software the manufacturer forced on you?

I personally don't see the fascination with Media Player Classic or VLC (unless you're running some kind of media server or something). MPlayer didn't work too good for me in XP IIRC (besides not being very good anyway as far as I could tell). I'm a little surprised about GOM though, since it's so similar to The KMPlayer, which is the media player that I'm using (right this very moment in fact) on my x64 Vista machine.

Also, I don't know anything about Comodo Firewall, except that after looking a little at their website I decided not to even try their firewall a couple months ago for my XP comp. But it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that a firewall that so far as I can tell doesn't advertise being Vista compatible, in fact is NOT Vista compatible.

I don't know what to say about SketchUp... seems like Google would be more on the ball.

2 BSODs? That's more than I've seen... I've only seen one, on my not-powerful-enough laptop. I attributed it to the batteries being dead. Were they both while trying to use Comodo Firewall?

Yeah, those Favorites are causing other people problems too...
Is there a way to disable the Favourite Links Bar?
Although not the solution that you might be looking for, it probably works... (I just deleted all the links in the favorites and moved on. Now I use Directory Opus...)

Sorry Ampa, not just trying to shoot you down or anything. But Vista isn't an XP service pack (as much as the internet nerds want to treat it as such), it's a different OS with lots of changes and therefor incompatibilities.

If you can swing it, I'd suggest reinstalling Vista using another disc using your GF's key. With beyond compare I've personally verified the 32 bit Business retail and 32 bit Premium retail discs are exactly identical, and exactly identical to the 32 bit Premium OEM disc up until the last KB or so at the very end of the disc (1KB out of 2.5GB ain't too bad).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version