topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft's Silverlight  (Read 4796 times)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft's Silverlight
« on: May 01, 2007, 05:06 AM »
I just can't wait to see stuff demoed in this. Techchrunch has an EXCELLENT write-up about this new technology, and you can read it here: http://feeds.feedbur...crunch/~3/113229315/

Official Silverlight website: http://silverlight.net/

The TechChrunch article is especially great if you want to get some overview over the technology. What is it, what can it do, who will use it, etc. Great stuff

UPDATE
Ummm.. scratch the part about WAITING to see this demoed. There's a bunch of demoes already up, and MS also made available a video showcasing Silverlight in action. You can find all this at the Silverlight page I linked to. After installing the Silverlight beta (free of course) and restarting IE7, I watched some high-def movie trailers as streams in the browser, including a cool interface on the top that let me choose whereever I wanted to be in the video with not only a progress bar, but little screenshots of the video at those points in playback.

One of the demo videos I just watched for a bit showed off another impressive video editing app running completely in IE7 in Windows Vista. This thing featured thumbnails of videos that had full motion live previews whatever video was moused over, and the guy demoing showed off how easy it is to edit two clips and then combine them into a single clip (the latter action being done with a single drag/drop action).

I'm impressed already. Can't wait to see what's next
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 05:22 AM by moerl »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft's Silverlight
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 07:22 AM »
sounds quite nice in that write up:

The biggest part of the announcement today is that Silverlight will now include a mini-CLR (Common Language Runtime) from .NET. What this means is that a subset of the full .NET platform that runs on desktops can be accessed from within the browser. As with the usual .NET runtime, with Silverlight you can code in a number of supported programming languages. At this time the languages supported are C#, Javascript (ECMA 3.0), VB, Python and Ruby. The Python and Ruby interpreters were built by Microsoft and have been released under their shared source license meaning that developers can get access to the code and are able to make contributions to it.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 07:16 PM »
Doesn't it :)
Here's a sweet, sweet demo too: http://www.webware.c...eed&subj=Webware

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 07:12 AM »
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker