topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Irfanview4 released  (Read 24673 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Irfanview4 released
« on: April 30, 2007, 10:18 AM »
Version 4 of the famous irfanview (donationware) is out!

Version 4.00 ( - CURRENT VERSION - ) (Release date: 2007-04-23)
Improved Vista compatibility
New display option: Center image in window (Menu: View->Display options)
Toolbar skin option added (Properties->Toolbar)
   More Toolbar skins are available on the IrfanView homepage.
   => Users can send new Toolbar skins by email, Thanks guys!
New Properties->Video option: Use DirectShow for playing (good for MJPG AVIs)
New advanced batch option: Auto adjust colors
"Enhance colors" can be now used on selections
New EXIF dialog button: Show in Google Earth (if GPS data available)
The EXIF dialog can stay displayed on screen
Thanks to Dmitri Poguliayev for the new Vista icon!
New Hotkey: CTRL + SHIFT + M = Show/edit JPG comment
Several PlugIns are changed/updated, please install the newest versions
   http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm
Some bugs fixed (Start folder, RLE BMPs, ANI loading)

from http://www.veign.com...nview-40-is-out.html

noutters

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Irfanview4 released
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 02:06 PM »
Hello,

I have been using Irfanview in the past but switched to XnView for a couple of years ago. How do they compare today?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 06:08 PM »
I have both. I use IrfanView every day [Ctrl+Shift+I), and XnView twice a year or so. I must admit there are many features in IrfanView that I have not yet tried to use, but I believe IrfanView would be "anyones" choice (obviously not) of the two - at least if photography or converting were the two biggest issues. But of course XnView still is somewhat 'nicer' and easier. Less nerdish, you might say.

Besides, noutters, I remember that I couldn't figure out how to set transparent colours on GIFs and PNGs with XnView - can it do so?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 06:12 PM by Curt »

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 06:18 PM »
Another one to consider is FastStone viewer - www.faststone.org. Has a different UI than traditional programs in the image view that makes it really useful. These are the big 3 of free image viewers.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 06:35 PM »
... - at least if photography or converting were the two biggest issues.

For IrfanView; do try the DLL from BAxBEx (scroll ALL down):

bax1.png bax2.png bax3.png

:-*

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 03:24 AM »
Thanks, Curt. I actually use OpenExpert from BaxBex, but haven't even noticed that Irfanview extension. Will be very useful!

And just to add my 2 cents, Irfanview is by far my favourite image viewer. Faster than Xnview and Faststone, and all the necessary features.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 08:25 AM »
Thanks, Curt. I actually use OpenExpert from BaxBex,...

Yes, I can remember that from this thread. I still think OpenExpert has the wrong layout, it should not replace Explorer 'Open With...' at once, but rather add to / integrate with 'Open With ...' - just as it is with the Mac plugin Zingg!:

cmm.jpg

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 12:32 AM »
i am a regular user of IrfanView but hadn't had the time to update to version 4 and i am pleasantly surprised that the new version supports toolbar skins.. :Thmbsup:

ws-irfanview-skins1.png
http://www.irfanview.net/skins.htm

legion1978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • Ukeireru nara shini wa shinai
    • View Profile
    • Shibumi WD
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:32 AM »
i tried irfanview and it IS powerful, though its interface i do not like.. so i switched to xnview/faststone. i find xnview to be as good as irfanview (not takin into account those plugin things--no time for it) and faststone has also useful tools, but i prefer it because of its interface. besides its the only freeware i know that watermarks images.... i think its better an app do their thing and do it right.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 11:51 AM »
Welcome at DC, legion1978   :Thmbsup:

... as good as irfanview (not takin into account those plugin things--no time for it) ...

No time for it??!!!   :o

The plugins are what makes IrfanView the leader of the pack!

Make time!

8)  -and do feel welcome!  :P

legion1978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Shibumi WD
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 12:13 PM »
The plugins are what makes IrfanView the leader of the pack!

true, but thats the point.. thats exactly the same reason i didnt like total commander(as powerful and famous it is) and instead got into dopus.. one thing is configuring ui.. and a cmpletely different one to test plenty of plugins t see if they actually work or are just what i need. for just proccess and/or view images.. no thnx,.. maybe one of these days ... ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 01:57 PM »
I don't and won't use IrfanView as image viewer, so I understand your point.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 04:36 PM »
I didn't like IrfanView either, much prefer FastStone.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 04:53 PM »
I could've liked FastStone if it wasn't for the hideous UI. Worst skinnable app I've seen, and when I tried it (a few months ago) I couldn't even disable skinning, only use a pseudo-default windows skin. Many things about it are great, but my eyes would hurt too much 8)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 06:16 PM »
On my XP FastStone won't save - and I have no idea what might be wrong. No other program has this problem. I also tried to reinstall.
 :( 
 :tellme:

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 07:48 PM »
I have tried many times to love Irfanview but I always fall back to Xnview. I can't get used to the thumbnail browser opening in a separate window with Irfanview. I much prefer the way Xnview incorporates the browser.

legion1978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Shibumi WD
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 08:08 PM »
I have tried many times to love Irfanview but I always fall back to Xnview. I can't get used to the thumbnail browser opening in a separate window with Irfanview. I much prefer the way Xnview incorporates the browser.
thats the stuff, i cant understand it.. irfanview was the first img  viewer/editor i tried after acdsee became bloatware,, i didn stick to it because of that uncomfortable detail.. the FS then XNview.. why does the autor keep that sort-off-odd interface?

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 02:10 AM »
I'm right there with edbro, I want to like IrfanView, but after installing it it doesn't take me very long at all to go back to XnView.
Also a while ago I did an independent, completely not-scientific test between IfranView and XnView and XnView opened noticeably quicker (I suppose that issue may now be moot with Vista and "Super Fetch" or whatever it's called though).

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 02:15 AM »
Also a while ago I did an independent, completely not-scientific test between IfranView and XnView and XnView opened noticeably quicker
Really? Odd, I've had the exact opposite experience. Irfanview has just been faster for me, and that's probably the most important part for me in an image viewer, that it opens instantly. As for the thumbnails, I don't think I've ever used that in Irfanview, I use Total Commander for that. I can understand that opening a new window for it could be annoying though.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 02:54 AM »
good point, TucknDar.. IrfanView excels as an image viewer, i don't think it was meant to be a full-featured thumbnail browser. that, of course, is my personal opinion.. :)

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 04:06 AM »
IrfanView suxx0rs!!!!  :P

FastStone lets you grab thumbnails, rearrange them and then rename them in the new order. Plus the thumbs aren't obstructed when selected, plus it's portable, and the zoom function is awesome. Also, for just viewing images, there's nothing faster that I can think of.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

legion1978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Shibumi WD
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 02:36 PM »
FastStone lets you grab thumbnails, rearrange them and then rename them in the new order. Plus the thumbs aren't obstructed when selected, plus it's portable, and the zoom function is awesome. Also, for just viewing images, there's nothing faster that I can think of.
yep i agree it has  the most convenient ui (if youre confortable with hidden-flap interface on fullscreen, which is my case) although FS doesnt support conection filters (photoshop-like filters).. it does have some  other cool/power features.

As for the thumbnails, I don't think I've ever used that in Irfanview, I use Total Commander for that. I can understand that opening a new window for it could be annoying though.
thumbnails.. they are necessary so you dont have to go back to file manager ..right? even though (i dunno about totalCommander) but i can dinamically resize thumbnails as well as perform  small modifications on images in dopus, like resize, rotate and change format(bmp,jpg,png,gif) wich saves a lot of time..

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 08:43 PM »
point noted, Nighted but it'll be some time before i try out FastStone.. ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 03:25 PM »
Version 4 of the famous irfanview (donationware) is out!

Some ten days ago Giveawayoftheday was offering the $30 WireKeys, but somehow I missed it. Today I wrote the author and he gave me a copy for free! Very nice touch :-) 

I looked at the plugins' page and found this macro for IrfanView:

• "Irfan view" automatic crop tool:
  • Crop and save a sequence of images in a batch, one by one. Uses IrfanView's built-in keys to perform crop, save, and next image operations in sequence.

http://www.wiredplan...irekeys/wkmacros.php
http://www.wiredplan...bout.php?language=en
http://www.wiredplan...en/commons/about.php

If you think $30 is too much, well, being at DonationCoder you might as well author a little plugin or macro yourself and have the program for free. I know I would like to remote control Media Player Classic...   ;)

To developers:

If you're missing some specific function and know how to implement it by yourself, you can write your own plugin. Creating WireKeys plugins is very simple, even for novice programmers. Take some time to read over the notes in the plugin's header file, look into and grab sample plugins source code, and you can have your first plugin up and running withing just a few minutes. Send us new plugins by email, and we will post it here. Every plugin author will be given a free registration key to WireKeys. If you have any questions, you can post them in our support forum.

Remember that plugins will not work without WireKeys itself. Unregistered version of WireKeys will run plugins only during the 14 days trial period, after which they all will be disabled. 

List of available sources of the plugins.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 04:17 PM »
As for the thumbnails, I don't think I've ever used that in Irfanview, I use Total Commander for that. I can understand that opening a new window for it could be annoying though.
thumbnails.. they are necessary so you dont have to go back to file manager ..right? even though (i dunno about totalCommander) but i can dinamically resize thumbnails as well as perform  small modifications on images in dopus, like resize, rotate and change format(bmp,jpg,png,gif) wich saves a lot of time..
Yes, I can do that in Total Commander (even through Irfanview commandline switches if I wanted to).
I don't see the problem with going back to filemanager from image viewer. I think TC and Irfanview work very well together. Both are the fastest I've tried in their specific fields. But I suppose favoured software all depends on needs and wants ;) It's usually like that.