Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 18, 2014, 06:34:26 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Corrupt Hardware+Software Reviews , Payola etc.  (Read 9516 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 06, 2005, 04:20:02 PM »

Interesting read:
http://hardware.slashdot....shtml?tid=149&tid=137

thought i would mention this as an excuse to reitterate that this site does not accept payment from companies.  We have neither received nor solicited money or gifts for our reviews, or for commissions on sales offered to our members, etc.

we only contact companies to ask for discounts for our members after our awards are decided; companies are told very clearly that offering a discount to our members will not affect the review or choice of award, except to the extent that we feel the discount makes the program's price more reasonable and worth purchasing.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 12:20:31 AM by mouser » Logged
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 09:35:28 PM »

"Details of a payola scheme by NBC tech analyst Cory Greenberg surfaced Wednesday, in which he was receiving upwards of $15,000 a piece from technology companies to positively promote their products on NBC's Today Show. The news underscores an emerging trend of questionable review practices, both online and off. "

http://www.betanews.com/a...ng_Tech_Payola/1114026025
tenseiken
Columnist

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 03:04:27 AM »

People will do anything for money.  Lie, cheat, steal.  It's just business--ethics are a handicap.

-John
randiroo76073
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 08:12:49 AM »

People will do anything for money. Lie, cheat, steal. It's just business--ethics are a handicap.
Ethics is just another word in the dictionary nowdays, present company excluded. Money. How much can you actually use, only so much in a lifetime. I'm not opposed to it, but would rather get it honestly by my work smiley
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 08:27:44 AM by randiroo76073 » Logged

Randy
98se/sp2/982ME/Revolutions 2.1
Firefox/Kmeleon
ASUS-A7V400MX,AMD-2400+Sempron,1gb-Kingston ddr2700

Some ask Y, I say Ynot!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 08:38:06 AM »

agreed...
when did greed become a virtue?
tenseiken
Columnist

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 11:18:31 AM »

Maybe aliens have invaded.  Ferengis, that is. mrgreen

-John
randiroo76073
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member