ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official DonationCoder.com Reviews

Reviews content suggestion

<< < (2/2)

zridling:
mouser: "...I don't think such comparison tables could be created without huge amounts of work."
--- End quote ---

Ricnaff, you make some excellent points, but understand the trade-off involved in what you're asking. While DCC's reviews are extensive and thorough, they are not written for print magazine publication. I think it's a nice idea, too, but trust me when I iterate how MUCH task-intensive work goes into each of these reviews. I want to be informed by the content of the review, and not rely on a bar chart or three-word quip to summarize a 4,000-word review. PCMag.com still relies on "meters" inside of gifs to give you their rating. For me, I'm not looking for 4, 5, or 10 stars. I want someone to tell me what makes an app good and why I should have it on my desktop. If one wants quick and easy, visit my site below to find one-paragraph capsule reviews. However, DCC is devoted to fleshing out what makes a program better than its peers and worthy of your consideration. And the work it takes to write that is well worth supporting as you have, Ricnaff, so thanks!

mouser:
there can be no doubt that ricnaff's comments and suggests are 100% on the money, and as zridling says, the only issue here is really the time required to get this done right.. we will endeavor to improve this and try to come closer to this ideal.  it will make a big difference if we can eventually build a "team" of reviewers, such that each review has a longer lead time between start date and deadline for publishing.

the other way i want to address this issue is to make the forum section for each review much more of an integral part of what is considered the review.  ie. one should think of the review and its forum discussion section and 2 parts of the same thing.  you read the review for the summary opinion and then you click to visit the forum section where you might hear dissenting views and maybe some users can help fill in some of the details that would be useful to have about other apps.

it takes time to build up an active forum.. we are getting there, and i think over time the forums will grow in value and become a real asset to the reviews; they've already been a great help to me.  as we get more participation from people prior to and after the reviews, i think they will begin to provide the kind of information that ric rightly says would be useful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version