ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How AMD plans to take over the market by adding DRM directly to CPU

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
The net effect of all this will ultimately be stasis - people will simply stick with Windows XP and their current hardware. The result will be a hardware market crash as people refuse to buy new systems or upgrade to new hardware and a software market crash as new software demands the new OSes and hardware.

Hell people will start stockpiling replacement parts!

I find it particularly interesting that while all this paranoid rubbish is being churned out you have companies like iTunes removing DRM from music. Presumably this has come from public and legal pressure to open up its market place - how long will it be before similar moves will hit the movie market?

Darwin:
I find it particularly interesting that while all this paranoid rubbish is being churned out you have companies like iTunes removing DRM from music. Presumably this has come from public and legal pressure to open up its market place - how long will it be before similar moves will hit the movie market?
--- End quote ---

Excellent point! I expect that you're right. This is what I was saying too (VERY indirectly) - the masses, being forewarned, will act accordingly. Hopefully, this will translate into people voting with their chequebooks - as in, keeping them in their pockets, as you suggest. OK, must put on the tinfoil hat and get back under my bed...

Deozaan:
... iTunes removing DRM from music.
-Carol Haynes (April 29, 2007, 06:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

They are? I'm almost impressed.

Carol Haynes:
They are releasing all of the EMI catalogue in MP3 format and have just got the go ahead to release the Beatle's catalogue for the first time. I would guess/hope that other labels are likely to follow suit.

Tinman57:
  And that's another reason I belong to organizations such as EFF, they fight Hollywood and the music industry in court on a weekly basis.

But as Fodder said, hackers to the rescue........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version