topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Whats the best program to learn typing?  (Read 23417 times)

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Whats the best program to learn typing?
« on: April 28, 2007, 01:50 AM »
I can bear the shame no longer, and the truth must be revealed - I do not know how to touch type!

I spend the majority of my day, and lets be honest, more time I should at home, in front of a computer. I'm a programmer, and not an author, so I don't need to go 80 words/min, and I've gotten pretty good at -hunt-and-peck, but I want to learn how to type. A quick google search comes up with dozens of programs, each of which would have me believe are the absolute last word in perfection.

I found this site - http://typing-softwa...are-definitions.html, which compares some of them.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Whats the best program to learn typing?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 04:11 AM »
Well, you've learned to type good in the "hunt-and-peck" method which can be a problem if you now want to type properly IMHO. You'll have to really force yourself not to look on the keys. Perhaps find some way to block the view.

For best program I can't really say anything. As Austrian I'm using a German keyboard and most English keyboard learning tools are useless for me. I've heard of Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing quite often and it's no#1 in your typing programs review. So perhaps give it a try. Most programs offer a trial or demo. Just use the program you're most comfortable with.

If you want some typing games, I can recommend "Typing Shark" (http://www.popcap.co...p?theGame=typershark). There's a free version online. My favorite typing game is "Typing of the Dead". It also offers a typing school and drill section. It's not the best program to learn typing, but probably the most entertaining/motivating one... (if you don't mind the graphics and gameplay). http://en.wikipedia....e_Typing_of_the_Dead
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 09:27 AM by wr975 »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:38 AM »
Typing Of The Dead looks fun :D

Typing Shark is cute, but when it gets harder, it sucks a bit with non-us keyboards.
- carpe noctem

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 08:43 AM »
hmm, it kinda comes automatically ;-)
you just have to replace "learn typing in 24h" with "learn typing in Xyears" ;-)
never used any software to learn, dunno, i guess i developed my own rules of what key to hit with which finger ;-)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Just "finished" typer shark... 2.485.194 points, "amateur diver" rank, 84 WPM with an accuracy of 93% - level 15. That's on "X-Treme" skill, adventure mode, two bonus levels (and +33% difficulty or so?). Darn it gets hard :)

I originally taught myself touch typing on my dads old mechanical typewriter, luckily with a QWERTY keyboard, so I could transfer that skill directly to PCs  8)
- carpe noctem

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 10:39 AM »
Miss Helm, my grade 7 typing teacher. I did NOT want to learn how to type. I vehemently objected. I thought it was impossible and a skill that I would never need. She somehow forced me to do it (in retrospect, she must have been one tough chick because I was a monster!). Still not sure how (although, taping over all the keys on all the typewriters was a big factor). Eventually, to my amazement, I was typing!

No computers though, just learned from a typing book.

I didn't see Ten Thumbs Typing Tutor or Typer Tutor (free) anywhere in that typing software comparison.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 10:44 AM by Nighted »

dba

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 03:25 AM »
I would put MasterMind Typing from http://www.turnquist.org as the best on the market. It taught me to touch-type more rapidly and acurately than any others I tried (and I tried many!)

pro3carp3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 07:14 AM »
The only one I've used is Mavis Beacon and I highly recommend it.
LGC

saved279

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 04:48 PM »
I[ve found Type to Learn 3 to be a pretty good program.

compn

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 07:14 PM »
My favorite typing game is "Typing of the Dead". It also offers a typing school and drill section. It's not the best program to learn typing, but probably the most entertaining/motivating one... (if you don't mind the graphics and gameplay). http://en.wikipedia....e_Typing_of_the_Dead

agree 100% , this game is great, and i wish i had it when i was learning to type.

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 02:25 AM »
There's also CRIMSONLAND with a typing mode (one of my all time favorite games)

I just finished the online free version of the shark typer as well
Normal Mode, Level 20, Score 1142116
Time 49:11, WPM 66, Accuracy 91%
Rank Salvage master

There is a feature you can use in the shark game to help you out, SPACEBAR, pauses the game and you can still see all the sharks! helps in the really touch situations... and apparently you can keep typing even when the shark is offscreen, so you have split second at times to save the teddy bear look a like diver :)

"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

direnc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 11:25 AM »
I'd like to share with you how I learned to touchtype. Learning about the Das Keyboard(http://www.daskeyboard.com/), I decided to sand the markings on my keyboard to have my own cheap Das Keyboard-like-keyboard. Being fast at hunt-and-peck typing, I was mistaken into thinking that I already knew where each key was and I that I would be able to type without the key markings. I was so wrong, and instead of swapping the keyboard (I have so many), I decided to learn touchtyping. I used Accutype http://www.learntotype.com/  to learn. The thing I liked about it is that it won't allow you try another exercise untill you reach a certain level of accuracy.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 09:17 PM »
slight hi-jack of thread.. :) is there any typing program that is fun and educational for toddlers?

icebird

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 09:18 AM »
I have several angles on this.

* I learned to type using some ancient programs that you could feed any text file in to, and it would scroll a little window through the file that displayed perhaps 10 characters at a time at whatever speed you wanted.  You then had to type the letters as they appeared.  As long as you were going along with what was visible in the box, you were in good shape.  I forget what the program was called, but I thought it did a good job of teaching me, and I would love to know what it was if anyone knows of it.

* At some point in college, I began learning an alternative to QWERTY: http://en.wikipedia...._Simplified_Keyboard  It took me perhaps two years off and on to get really good with this (with normal computer usage, no typing practice software).  If you're just learning to touch type, I would recommend taking a good look at this layout as I believe it is more efficient.  It also has the added bonus of frustrating interlopers who try to use your PC, and making you look super geeky.  It's easy to switch KB layouts in Windows and Linux alike.

* Anyway, when I was learning Dvorak, I printed this out and put it above my keyboard: http://www.kbuffer.com/images/dvorak.gif  I thought that worked really well.  Just place your hands in the proper position and reference the paper when you need to.  That way, your fingers are memorizing the motion patterns for letters and words at the same time your mind is memorizing where they are located and which finger to use.

The locations of the various symbols common to programming make some languages easier.  The only major drawback is re-learning where Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V are :-)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 09:29 AM »
Somewhere I have a retail copy of Mavis Beacon (it may be a version or two behind the current edition) at home.  If I can find it, I'd be happy to send it to you.  I installed it, tried it out a couple of times, and decided that it wasn't for me.

Carl

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 07:16 PM »

1 paperback book
1 Licensed copy of MS Word for Dos
2 weeks of determination

= Semi-proficient touch typist

4 weeks of determination

= Almost a pro!  :Thmbsup:

Still can't spell  :'( ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 07:18 PM by Cloq »

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 07:47 AM »
I found the copy of Mavis Beacon.  Mr. Crispy, if you're still out there and want it, PM me.

Carl Thorpe

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 09:32 PM »
Here's a link to a good free typing tutor:
http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~pmh/Type/

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 03:57 PM »
[OLD THREAD ALERT]

Hi,

I'm sure there are numerous typing programs released since the last comments in this thread. In the effort to improve my terrible typing skills, I recently found TIPP10.

http://www.tipp10.com/en/index/ :
TIPP10 is a free touch typing tutor for Windows, Mac OS and Linux. The ingenious thing about the software is its intelligence feature. Characters that are mistyped are repeated more frequently. Beginners will find their way around right away so they can start practicing without a hitch.

Useful support functions and an extensive progress tracker, topical lessons and the ability to create your own practice lessons make learning to type easy.

Note a portable Windows version is also available.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Since we're posting in really old threads, I can say I know of (but haven't really used) TypeFaster Typing Tutor. Though I think it's really just called TypeFaster.

http://www.typefastertypingtutor.com/

PortableApps.com even has it (and TIPP10, mentioned above by sajman99) available as a portable app.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 03:18 AM »
+1 for Typing of the Dead (it is the only tutor that I look forward to using!)

Tip: Find a tea-towel or head scarf and drape it over your hands and keyboard so that you can't cheat! You'll be amazed how often your eyes flick down to the letter "just to check".