ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu Linux vs. Windows Vista

(1/13) > >>

zridling:
Nice overview of several direct advantages and shortcomings of each OS compared at InformationWeek:
Ubuntu Linux Vs. Windows Vista

Ubuntu is only one Linux distro, but it's clear it's not 2002 anymore. If you don't want Windows anymore, there are other choices.

Dirhael:
I don't quite agree with the author of that article on some points. Don't have the time to go into much detail right now, but the ones that stuck out the most for me was:

* Installation
- "Ubuntu has a slight edge" -- Really, just a slight edge? He doesn't even mention the fact that you will be installing the OS directly from the live CD, which means that you can be browsing the web etc. inside a working environment while the OS happily installs in the background. Compare this to the static nature of a Windows installation, I'd say that Ubuntu has more than just a slight edge there.

* Software installation
- A tie? Surely he must not have really tried Ubuntu for any extended period of time? The package management in any Debian-based distro is far superior to both Windows and other operating systems, simply for the fact that the applications are available with just a simple click no matter who the vendor is (well, non-commercial software anyway). Most importantly though, having software handled by a package manager in that way also means that keeping your OS and 3rd party apps up to date is a breeze as both are handled by the same thing ensuring that you never have to hunt around various websites to get the latest versions (imagine Windows Update, only here it handles everything you've ever installed on your system).

There are a few other problems with the article as well, most notably the fact that his conclusions doesn't really match up with what he actually writes in the various categories. Anyway, I like both systems (well, actually Kubuntu + Vista) and will continue dual-booting as both have things the other one doesn't.

jgpaiva:
Ok, here comes yet another flame war...  :mad:

People definitelly should stop making these comparisons.

As a university computer engeneering student, i have to use linux for my studies. But that's about as much as i use it.
My opinion is that the comparison they made isn't very fair. From what i've used of ubuntu, it is quite imcomplete, and probably a comparison of WinVista vs OpenSuse would probably get much more similar results.

I was using Ubuntu untill a few days ago. I have now switched to OpenSuse and i'm surprised how much more complete it is.
Currently, the only thing really anoying me in linux, is the fact that there's no way for me to connect my 21' monitor to my laptop and use it as i do in windows. (apparently, that's a failed battle at the moment. but i'm sure they'll figure it out soon..)

Gothi[c]:
The package management in any Debian-based distro is far superior to both Windows and other operating systems

--- End quote ---

How can it be superior if it doesn't even exist in windows? ;)
I'm not sure if apt is that much better than Gentoo's portage or fedora's yum or freeBSD's pkg_add, etc,.. but it sure is better than nothing at all! :)

jgpaiva:
I'm not sure if apt is that much better than Gentoo's portage or fedora's yum or freeBSD's pkg_add, etc,.. but it sure is better than nothing at all! :)
-Gothi[c] (April 27, 2007, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Apt might not be superior, but synaptic is way superior to suse's equivalent (can't remember the name), in the sense that it's so damn easy to add the universe repositories. In suse, it takes some effort set that.

(notice that i say this because one friend of mine that iliterate in this kind of thing added the repositories in ubuntu in 20seconds and after 2 hours of fidling with suse, gave up)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version