Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 09:44:01 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Super Flexible File Synchronizer Mini-Review  (Read 56126 times)
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

You know, I complain sometimes about the interface of SFFS, but that darn thing can do everything!  Super Flexible is an extremely accurate name.  I just started using this feature I wasn't aware of which will monitor the USB ports, and detect when my files changed or when I stick my drive in, and it will run the profile.  I was all set to find another third-party program to take care of that for me.  And in typical SFFS fashion, the options are ALL covered:

That's what I'm talking about, baby!  Don't give me command line switches and stuff.  Buttons!  Checkboxes!  Dialogs!  Drop-downs!  Tabs!  Color-pickers!  Let's go!

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2011, 02:50:54 AM »

That's what I'm talking about, baby!  Don't give me command line switches and stuff. 
Buttons!  Checkboxes!  Dialogs!  Drop-downs!  Tabs!  Color-pickers!  Let's go!

cheesy +1

Tom
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2011, 10:25:29 AM »

With version 5.49/a I had a problem with the "Background Scheduler" on two different machines (XP & Win7). It didnt start with windows/login as it should. There has been updates since which may have resolved this, but apparently the best thing to do (for those not in the know) is to install the "Service Scheduler".
Details here
http://superflexible.com/docup.htm

Tom
superboyac
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2011, 11:02:14 AM »

With version 5.49/a I had a problem with the "Background Scheduler" on two different machines (XP & Win7). It didnt start with windows/login as it should. There has been updates since which may have resolved this, but apparently the best thing to do (for those not in the know) is to install the "Service Scheduler".
Details here

Interesting.  I know in the older versions, there was some complicated setup of the service installation vs background running, etc.  In the newer version, it seemed to be simplified to a start/stop button in the application that worked much better than before, and the installer stopped asking the user if they wanted to install the service.  I've had no problems with it since, but if I wanted to have the service running in a more dedicated manner, I'd use the service.  I like being able to easily start stop it right now with the button.

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »

Details here

Interesting.  I know in the older versions, there was some complicated setup of the service installation vs background running, etc.  In the newer version, it seemed to be simplified to a start/stop button in the application that worked much better than before, and the installer stopped asking the user if they wanted to install the service.  I've had no problems with it since, but if I wanted to have the service running in a more dedicated manner, I'd use the service.  I like being able to easily start stop it right now with the button.

think we need a screenshot to clarify -

You can still stop/start it AFAICS.**
After my experience I would highly recommend using the Service Scheduler (Tobias also recommended it over the "Background" one when I reported the problem). I'm just after installing it on Win7 but I cant remember was the service selected or not - didnt get installed anyways. You can install it by selecting it from the drop-down list (see mouse arrow) and then install options show.

** Edit/ no, it's not clear - if I click on "Stop Scheduler" it still says "service is running", as in the lower part of the screenshot.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:53:49 PM by tomos; Reason: added asterisks :p » Logged

Tom
superboyac
Charter Member

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »

^^ Yes, I think you've nailed it.  I remember this now.  It was sort of confusing.  I'm using the background scheduler because it's the easiest.  But I am going to move things to a server soon and I'll probably go the service way for that.  Thanks for digging that up!

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2011, 03:31:19 PM »

^^ Yes, I think you've nailed it.  I remember this now.  It was sort of confusing.  I'm using the background scheduler because it's the easiest.  But I am going to move things to a server soon and I'll probably go the service way for that.  Thanks for digging that up!

Read the link I gave above for more info re network backups

Tom
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »

Per email

1) they considering new name - Syncovery (I personally think just SuperFlexible would be good...)
2) working on version #6
3) release of 5.6

we are going to rename the product! Please take a look at our poll regarding the designated new name, Syncovery:
http://tech.groups.yahoo....exible/surveys?id=2707004

Or feel free to send me your thoughts by email (http://www.superflexible.com/contact.htm).

Version 6 will contain lots of new features and improvements. Read all about it on this page: http://www.superflexible.com/v6.htm

While the new version 6 is in development, we are still updating version 5 frequently to fix any issues reported by customers. The result is that version 5.60 is one of the best and most stable releases ever.

The update is necessary especially if you use Google Docs or the box.net online storage service. Because cloud providers continuously work on their systems, compatibility updates are sometimes needed.

There's a huge discount on the Pro version for Macintosh for some more days available here:
http://www.themacbundles.com/

Tom
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »

Seems SFFS 6 has just been released -
it *is* now called Syncovery.

I've had the software since version 3.xx and my upgrade price was
(current price) - (50% original price)
which was 25 euros in my case.

Seems nice and fair.

What's new here
http://www.syncovery.com/v6/

I havent installed it yet - kind of hoping for GUI improvements (or some way of helping a better overview/understanding of a job/profile settings).
BTW I dont think there's even *one* screenshot at the new site cheesy maybe it's too new yet. Or maybe Tobias is a geek ;-)

Tom
superboyac
Charter Member

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »

BTW I dont think
COuld you post a screenshot for us if you have one?  Or anyone else?  Thanks.
I'll probably get the upgrade.  It's one of the most useful tools I've ever had.

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2012, 04:56:09 AM »

Just minor changes in the GUI, but things *are* clearer
(e.g. here it's clearer that there's more options related to Real Time Sync)

edit/
install went well - I went with recommended settings, which kept the older ini file (custom location) and uninstalled SFFS.
You can customise the whole thing, and even keep both programmes.

Tom
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2012, 06:22:47 AM »

Thanks for the alert — it was news to me.

Chris
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2012, 10:43:46 AM »

Thanks for the alert — it was news to me.

Yeah, I just accidentally came across it - I think it was just released this week, they probably havent sent notification yet (not to me at any rate).

Tom
superboyac
Charter Member

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »

thanks tomos, appreciate it.  I'm glad there's now a button for selecting the folders, finally!

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »

just got the official mail today (re ugdate to version 6 / new name etc.)

[...]
Version 6 uses new registration codes and you can order your license or upgrade right now. Many customers will receive a free upgrade, if their license purchase was within the past two years.

The page for new orders is this one:
http://www.syncovery.com/purchase/

And the upgrading system is here:
http://www.syncovery.com/upgrade/

This upgrading URL is used for both free and payed upgrades.

The list of new features can be seen here:
http://www.syncovery.com/v6/

Free upgrade if you bought within the last two years thumbs up

Tom
J-Mac
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »

Darn - I never did get any notification about this; I just noticed it over in the Genie BU Manager thread!

Weird - I just clicked on Check for Updates in SFFS 5.68a and it downloaded and installed SFFS 5.72... didn't even mention Syncovery, so I still wouldn’t know about it if not for your posts Tom.

Better go take a look. The UI you posted a screenshot of looks almost identical to the current! Tobias never has been into human factors!

Thanks!

Jim

"I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath."
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2012, 08:36:54 AM »

hi Jim
you must have gotten lost off the mailing list! It's not really a major update in the sense of big changes - but very fair in the sense that there hasnt been a paid update for years, i mean in spite of the constant updating. (I seem to be having "inarticulate day" today.)

Here's a copy of the email:

Tom
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »

(J-Macs quote copied from another thread)

Tom, can you explain the "synthetic backup" to me? I hadn't created any new profiles since they added that "feature", so I never even looked at it. To be honest I never knew it was there! Tobias doesn’t announce anything when updates are released - you have to discover updates by manually checking. And the Help file doesn’t even contain the word "synthetic" in it.

have a look at Block Level Copying here or in the spoiler. (It seems I have been using it incorrectly at times embarassed )

at the end there he says Find out more on Synthetic Backup on this page but there is no link...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:51:01 PM by tomos; Reason: added some emphasis within the spoiler » Logged

Tom
superboyac
Charter Member

« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2012, 04:05:16 PM »

I'm also curious about this new synthetic backup thing.  If people say it's good, I'll use it.  But I get nervous messing with my backup schemes.

J-Mac
Supporting Member

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2012, 10:46:24 PM »

Oh... Well... That makes it perfectly clear. Tobias needs to get someone who can do technical writing that is more understandable.

Thank you.

Jim

"I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath."
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2012, 04:18:49 AM »

Oh... Well... That makes it perfectly clear. Tobias needs to get someone who can do technical writing that is more understandable.

a summary would be good.

Try this:

It is a combination of Partial File Updating with versioning, where everything is zipped up.
-
I'm using it now for example with my newly installed virtual OS:

the initial backup was compressed from 6.5 to 3.5 GB.
      after my second backup, log says:
            Transfer amount saved due to partial file updating : 4.7GB
      the original folder is now 8.33 GB; the new backup folder size is 6.14 GB

So original folders of 6.5 + 8.33 = 14.88 GB
Backup of the above                 =   6.14 GB

as to how well it works, I cant say. I will do a test restore when I have time, and report back. As I've said elsewhere, I trust SFFS a lot, but with all the options there are occasionally possibilities of user error.

Tom
J-Mac
Supporting Member

« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »

Tom,

My concern with this is it sounds a lot like what regular backup programs call "incremental backup", but on a file by file/versioning basis. regular backup programs offer this on the entire backup job. I've never liked it because you need a series of backups in order to be able to restore. And if one of those becomes corrupted - which is more common than you would think - then nothing can be restored. I always used "Full" backups when I used regular backup programs, and kept two or three full backups, rolling one outr as another was completed. Incremental backups could save time and disk space but each incremental piece requiring all of the rest of them staying non-corrupted made them too risky IMO.

This "synthetic" mode sounds like it could be similar. Maybe not. Guess I'll read up more on it but to be honest I'll probably stick with full file versioning for the files that need it.

Thanks!

Jim

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2012, 11:13:29 AM »

Yes Jim -
the whole Partial file updating thing is like an extremist version of incremental cheesy

Tom
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »

Got email notification today -
Amazon S3 no longer works with Syncovery/SFFS Version 5.
Solutions included though:

ATTENTION! Amazon S3 has stopped working with older versions of Super Flexible File Synchronizer last week! If you still have version 5 or older, you need to update your OpenSSL libraries in the Superflexible program folder:

http://www.syncovery.com/release/openssl.zip

Alternatively, you can upgrade to Syncovery version 6. Check your upgrade status on our web site:

http://www.syncovery.com/upgrade/

Tom
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.047s | Server load: 0.05 ]