ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Super Flexible File Synchronizer Mini-Review

<< < (10/22) > >>

mcurran:
Thanks mcurran. I'll have to get ahold of Tobias and ask him what's up.
-J-Mac (May 21, 2010, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jim: Glad to hear that you'll be pursuing SFFS. I'm looking forward to checking out SFFS's new feature: syncing with Google Docs.

BTW, that was the Cloudberry Explorer I was referring to in the other post. Is that what you  are using?
--- End quote ---

I hadn't heard of Cloudberry before (thanks for the name, I had tried a quick search in response to your comment below re the free client, but didn't stick with it). I had been using S3 backup (maluke.com) for browsing my S3 buckets and directories, but have been wondering what else is out there.

Yes - check the Amazon Web Services forum. There is a free client that seems to be all the rage there. They sell a more advanced version but maintain a free version also.
--- End quote ---

Let us know what happens w/SFFS.

-- Cheers, M

J-Mac:
mcurran,

Here's the website of the Cloudberry Explorer developers:  http://cloudberrylab.com/ . It's pretty decent and it's free!

Also here is a link to a review of the various Amazon S3 Clients at the labnol site: http://www.labnol.org/internet/amazon-s3-clients-roundup/8286/ . It's about a year old but most of the info is still valid.

Jim

mcurran:
Thanks very much!

tomos:
I installed Cloudberry and I set up SFFS to backup directly to Amazon S3,
and
it is all working a treat :) very easy to setup the online backup in Super Flexible - when you edit your 'profile' there's an internet button there, you just need your login details after that.

SFFS Pro, version: pre-5.00 Build 52

For the record, this was prompted by two things:

* I realised that files backed up to S3 using JungleDisk's Network Drive, these files can only be easily recovered by JungleDisk (I am still using an older version so this may have changed). When I explore these via Cloudberry I just see a maze of folders with random numbers - I'd prefer to have the same file structure as what I'm backing up (or at least a logical one).

* Second, my backups weren't working the last couple of days - I had been using SFFS to backup my local backups onto JungleDisk's Network Drive. I presumed JungleDisk was at fault, but eventually (after setting up backups direct from SFFS to S3), I purely accidentally found out that the problem was with Amazon - for some reason they no longer recognised my credit card but they didnt think to inform me that they had a problem and simply stopped the service. I will be contacting them to ask WTF they thinking of! (Also I'll have to look at changing SFFS settings so as I get a warning message if backup fails. The Jungle Disk tray icon normally changes if the connection isnt working properly, but this time it didnt seem to recognise whatever Amazon did as a problem...)

tomos:
I installed Cloudberry and I set up SFFS to backup directly to Amazon S3,
and
it is all working a treat :) very easy to setup the online backup in Super Flexible - when you edit your 'profile' there's an internet button there, you just need your login details after that.

SFFS Pro, version: pre-5.00 Build 52
-tomos (June 18, 2010, 04:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I stopped Jungle Disk completely now - it was acting up this morning repeatedly trying to move some file, it was fine on restart but I dont need it no more anyways...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version