ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Super Flexible File Synchronizer Mini-Review

<< < (9/22) > >>

tomos:
PS I tried to use SFFS to sync my Roboform data with Roboform's online backup service (https address) and SFFS couldn't handle it. It did ask for my login credentials and I've confirmed that it's set up correctly. Don't know if this is to do with Roboform wanting to get people to buy their own GoodSync software as well? At any rate, I mention this in reference to the S3 query. I *suspect* that this will be an issue with S3 as well, though I have no way to test it.
-Darwin (April 27, 2010, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
hmmm

Just thinking I could test it by setting it up (SFFS => S3) and then simply continuing to use Jungle Disk to check the contents of the S3 'Bucket' & see if the backup is actually working (you could go this route as well Jim)
as to when I might get around to trying that, I cant say :p :)

J-Mac:

I dont think SFFS allows you to browse files on S3 (I'm sure that would have been written big in the new features!)
Are there currently any other ways of showing S3 locally? -tomos (April 27, 2010, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes - check the Amazon Web Services forum. There is a free client that seems to be all the rage there. They sell a more advanced version but maintain a free version also.

( Fairly Off topic:- have you reasons you dont want to use Rackspace storage ? )
-tomos
--- End quote ---

Yes. Rackspace hasn’t been as reliable as S3 - there have been several outages since the takeover; with S3 I have a network drive defined on my machine and I can browse, upload/download directly from there instead of going through the JD client - can't browse your files online at all with Rackspace. And there is the fact that Jungle Disk converted my S3 "Legacy" backup to a Rackspace online disk with the update to V3 - that is a no-no here! Don’t f**k with my data without asking! Plus my Amazon S3 account is in my name, not Jungle Disk's like a lot of folks. So if JD goes away overnight my data is still there and accessible. Plus JD pushes the fact that Rackspace is cheaper but in reality the costs are virtually the same for me. I don’t download/move my stuff around that much.

Thanks!

Jim

Darwin:
Just FYI, I note that GoodSync is billed as being able to connect to and synchronize with Amazon S3.

mcurran:
J-Mac: I love SFFS. I've used it with Amazon S3 for a year+. I use it for regular scheduled backups and also for versioning when I'm editing/writing big projects (save file frequently, back up every 10-15 min., keep 20+ copies, all to a bucket for temporary intensive backups, then delete later).

My MSXML 6.0 got corrupted and it prevented me backing up to S3 (this was before ver. 5 which doesn't require it). But Tobias was extremely helpful and informative. The preview ver. 5 totally fixed the problem (no longer requires MSXML 6.0).

Thanks for the tip about the free client to browse the files.

J-Mac:
Thanks mcurran. I'll have to get ahold of Tobias and ask him what's up.

BTW, that was the Cloudberry Explorer I was referring to in the other post. Is that what you  are using?

Thanks again!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version