ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Quality Comparison: 8 x freeware PDF Readers / Viewers

<< < (20/22) > >>

superboyac:
Well, I've been going through my annual "what's the best pdf software" struggle.  So here's my latest update:

For the first time, I have to agree that out of the options, my favorite viewer is PDF-Xchange.  It's fast, it looks good, and it has tabs (you have to have tabs!).  Very good program.  Currently, my preferred viewer.

Nuance is also good, but definitely not in the "fast" category as far as starting up.  Once in the application, it behaves quickly.  To me, speed is two different issues:  startup speed, and operating speed.  Nuance is great for operating speed.  Also, nuance has nice layout features and powerful editing features.  But I wouldn't use it for my viewer.

Bluebeam Revu.  This is my preferred editor.  When I need to really work with pdfs, this is what I use.  it can do anything and does pdf markups/creation/editing better than any other program available.  Again, like Nuance, I wouldn't use this for my viewer because it's too slow for that.  But it's not meant to be a viewer only.

Sumatra is fast and all.  A little too simple for me.  I prefer PDF-Xchange over it.  I do use Sumatra on my portable drive, however.

Foxit.  It's okay.  Not my favorite in any category, though.  I prefer PDF-Xchange over it.

So, in summary:
viewer:  PDF-Xchange
editing:  Bluebeam
portable viewer: Sumatra

Stoic Joker:
Nuance is also good, but definitely not in the "fast" category as far as starting up.  Once in the application, it behaves quickly.  To me, speed is two different issues:  startup speed, and operating speed.  Nuance is great for operating speed.  Also, nuance has nice layout features and powerful editing features.  But I wouldn't use it for my viewer.-superboyac (March 01, 2010, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hm... I've been toying with trying out the Free Nuance Reader - When you say it's slow, do you mean slower than Acrobat? ...or just "regular" slow?

rjbull:
nuance has nice layout features and powerful editing features.  But I wouldn't use it for my viewer.-superboyac (March 01, 2010, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

superboyac, I take it that refers to the full Nuance package - you don't mean the free reader has any editing features?

tomos:
nuance has nice layout features and powerful editing features.  But I wouldn't use it for my viewer.-superboyac (March 01, 2010, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

superboyac, I take it that refers to the full Nuance package - you don't mean the free reader has any editing features?
-rjbull (March 01, 2010, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I got it but havent installed it yet, you have to give an email address for the download link

Not sure if appropriate to re-open this thread, but has anyone tried this yet?
Nuance PDF Reader
Introducing a free PDF reader that's small in size and big on features.

Get ready to rethink your choice of free PDF reader. Nuance PDF Reader enables you to do much more than just view PDF files. You can convert PDF files to Word®, Excel®, and RTF via a hosted web service. Use annotation tools to highlight, cross-out, and underline text for more effective collaboration. Even fill out and save PDF forms. Nuance PDF Reader takes up less disk space, is more secure than Adobe® Reader®, and works with virtually any PDF file. Best of all, it’s absolutely free, proving that you really can get a whole lot of something for nothing.
--- End quote ---
-NigelH (February 20, 2010, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

[edit] it's not clear ther if all that editing & form-filling is done "via a hosted web service" [/edit]

superboyac:
nuance has nice layout features and powerful editing features.  But I wouldn't use it for my viewer.-superboyac (March 01, 2010, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

-rjbull (March 01, 2010, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, I didn't try the reader version.  i only tried the full package.  honestly, I haven't spent too much time with Nuance.  These are just my first, quick impressions.  As far as the full version goes, it was good.  I liked a lot of things about it.  The reason why I didn't go with it is because, to me, Bluebeam can do that type of stuff better and it can do more.  Nuance and Bluebeam have similar philosophies:  they are one of the few that approach the whole interface/layout of pdf editing as a big desktop with panels and stuff around the sides.  I know, other ones do that, but not in the same way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version