ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use 7-Zip files?

<< < (4/9) > >>

dk70:
I dont use 7zip for locale files, zip is so much faster - life too short for ultimate compression ratios. However, sending larger files over internet means 7zip or similar. So Winrar does not look so bad today, go back a bit in time and 7zip often had advantage. Still does overall I think but much closer http://www.maximumcompression.com/index.html Silly compression times makes x% difference redundant of course. 

Regardless of fast internet connections 7zip/Rar should be mandatory - out with zip. Exe files kill concern for receivers arsenal of unpacking equipment. Principle, like not throwing away beer cans in forests ;) Old free Winrar is way better than zip.

Curt:
I have never found any reason for me not to use 7-Zip! -Curt (April 26, 2007, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I should add that it is very seldom I compress anything; I almost only unpack. Compression effeciency doesn't interest me. But easiness does. And this is where 7-Zip may be the easiest and maybe even the fastest unzipper: right-click the file and pick your choice. So easy that even I can understand how to use it.  I have tried many zippers, but 7-Zip is my favourite / favorite.

masu:
For Self-Usage I use 7-Zip, if I want to share something I use ZIP for compatibility.

Tekzel:
I pretty much exclusively use 7-zip.  The only time I don't is when I am sending it to someone that isn't a computer geek.  Then I use zip.  All of my file based backups use 7-zip.  Why?  I dunno.  Its open source for one.  As for speed, yadda, who cares?  On a relatively modern PC the speed difference between any of them is probably small enough to be academic unless you just sit there all day compressing and decompressing files.  IF that is the case, you have bigger issues than finding the fastest compressor! haha.  Oh, also, it has a  7 in the name.  That is waaaaay cool.   RAR never did anything for me, in fact if I come across a RAR archive I want to keep I always recompress it to 7-zip.

Down with the (RAR) man.

f0dder:
Tekzel: when compressing files of roughly 4.7GB of size (*cough*), speed is certainly an issue. Also, WinRAR can practically be used as a backup tool because of all it's commandline options, as well as unicode filename support, NTFS security & alternate streams support, etc...

Now, if 7zip was actually cleanly written and was extended to have the same support as winrar...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version