ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use 7-Zip files?

<< < (6/9) > >>

Darwin:
OK... thanks for the clarification of NO and NEVER. I didn't notice the choice for never when I voted - can I change my vote?!

jdd:
If I knew how, I would change the vote.  But you could also think of it this way.  In the end, when the statistics are compiled, a vote for 'Never' is like a 'No +' , whereas a 'Sometimes' is like a 'Yes - '.   Will that suffice?

Darwin:
OK - that'll do... Sorry to have been so dim!

Tekzel:
Tekzel: when compressing files of roughly 4.7GB of size (*cough*), speed is certainly an issue. Also, WinRAR can practically be used as a backup tool because of all it's commandline options, as well as unicode filename support, NTFS security & alternate streams support, etc...

Now, if 7zip was actually cleanly written and was extended to have the same support as winrar...

-f0dder (April 26, 2007, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

F0dder, I *cough* don't sit there and stare at my screen when compressing a large amount of data.  I let it go and do something else!  Either way I don't believe the difference is enough to make it worth worrying about, and I KNOW it isn't enough for ME to worry about. :)

2stepsback:
Hi all,

IMO, in the near future, when dual cores will get everywhere and quad cores will be common, and the standard RAM will be 512MB, (coders/designers: 2GB), isn't there some obvious way that the *slow* .7z compression will get fixed?

Of course we'll also stack up HD-DVD's / BluRay's so that .zip is fine as well.

So, then what happens?

opinions, predictions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version