topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 11:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What is the Best Movie Collection Organizer Program  (Read 55157 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What is the Best Movie Collection Organizer Program
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 11:45 AM »
No problem. Understand that DVD Profiler is a pretty decent software otherwise. The issues I posted just happen to be points that nag at me - might be personal preference in my case, IDK.

Oh, I completely understand it is decent software. It's some of the best on the market. However, the points that nag at you seem be exactly the kind of points that would nag at me were I a registered user.

Needless to say I was not amused...

If that were me in your shoes my lividness would be strong. :(

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Thanks a lot J-Mac for all the DVD Profiler comments. :Thmbsup:

I value the feedback of actual users much more than any other considerations.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 03:56 PM »
I value the feedback of actual users much more than any other considerations.

Exactly! One user review from a person who uses something every day is worth 20 professional reviews from people who only used something for an hour or two in order to write the review.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 07:15 AM »
I've been trying to figure this out, too. A lot of these seem to put a lot of effort into mirroring IMDB, which I don't think is really necessary for my needs. I don't really even need box shots, although they are nice to have. Which are best at letting you add your own custom fields and tags to both movies and actors and getting rid of fields you don't care about, and letting you make custom movie lists?  I've been experimenting with creating a custom database with SQLite Administrator and have been tempted to start a movie database design thread here. But I can't believe no one has designed a movie database in SQLite before that I could use as a starting point, but I couldn't Google one up.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 10:56 PM »
Last reply notification prompted me to comment on my latest movie/DVD collection program, CATVids from FN Programs. This one is basically the exact same format as all their other collection programs: BookCAT for Book; SoftCAT for software; CATraxx for Music; and I think they also have a stamp collection program too - something with Stamp and CAT in the title I'm sure!  :P

Anyway, I am doing OK with CATVids for my DVDs. Of course there are some little bits that get me a little twisted now and then but overall its capability for customization is great enough to make me very happy with it overall. One caveat is that there is no separate field for Edition, so all of your titles end up looking something like "The Godfather (Widescreen Edition)(25th Anniversary Special Edition)". That drives me nuts as I much prefer to see the Edition info elsewhere - anywhere but cluttering up the title! I end up just cutting it out of the title and pasting it into a custom field, of which there are many. (Custom fields, that is). But overall you can do just about anything you want with the database to make it work for you. All of FN Programs' apps are like that.

Definitely my best collection apps to date!

Thank you.

Jim

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 02:12 PM »
Those who don't want or need an elaborate movie catalogue software should check out EMDB (aka Eric's Movie Database). EMDB is a small and efficient program which gets the job done without a lot of ballyhoo.

It uses IMDB for the source and has a clean and logical layout. I am aware EMDB will be too limited for some movie collectors, but I guess this is one instance where the KISS principle (ie. Keep It Simple, Stupid!) works for me. 8)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 07:48 AM »
Did anyone see this slightly old thread where the same subject was discussed?     

Personal Movie Organizers - A quick rundown

I have been playing around with Personal Video Database and I have to agree with nosh's first post that it is the best of the ones I've tried. However the link didn't work, I found it here.

One of the features it has, that I was looking for, is the ability to have a list of people (actors, directors, etc.) in addition to movies. You can also deselect any fields you don't want to be downloaded for either movies or actors (which I am doing for tags, which I will use for my own purposes.) nosh has a summary of its features in the post I linked to.

The only quirks I've found are:
You have to run it as Administrator in Vista/Windows 7.
It minimizes to the system tray, which caused confusion for me when I thought it had crashed, thus I reopened it, either losing the data or saving to the wrong database file, etc.

One thing all the ones I've tried could do better for my purposes, instead of Seen and Wish checkboxes, I'd like to track WHO in the family has seen it and WHO wishes to see it. But repurposing the tags reserved for IMDB will be an easy workaround.

Another feature I have been looking for is the ability to make movie lists for different purposes. But I can use tags for that as well.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Wow! I didn't even need to repurpose the tags. Personal Video Database allows adding custom fields to movies (not people though)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 02:10 PM »
I've been using PVD for awhile. It has its quirks but the author keeps improving it.  One thing that kept throwing me as I go for periods without using it, is I'd keep forgetting the easiest way to use it with IMDB.  At least for me the best technique is to click on the little globe and the Add dialog box.  It brings up a list of search fields.  I mouse to imdb.titles to search for the title in the input line. Then I have an idea how IMDB has it listed. I do a lot of foreign films so often the titles oscillate between the English title and the original title.  Then when I hit the Go button I know which one in the list I want to select.  Just seems to work better that way.

Also users contribute plug-ins so it's not limited to English language online databases.  The only thing that drives me a little nuts is the author refuses to put a grid on the movies list with number justification so that the list doesn't sway to the right as the ID numbers get more digits. He keeps talking about it, but won't implement it. I think it's just to mess with us.  :)

Once you get the hang of the IMDB search(if that's the one you use) it's actually faster if you have broadband than those programs that let you insert the DVD and get the info automatically.  By the time the optical drive stops blinking you're already onto the next disc or 2 using PVD.

I would suggest keeping a couple of backup files because it can be quirky when you try to delete a box shot if you don't do it correctly.  You can get a corrupted database.  I usually save to backup every 1/2 dozen discs just to avoid wasted work.  I wish I had this program or something similar, and broadband when I started buying Jazz CDs. I'd have a searchable list of all my CD locations.  As it is, the stuff is just lumped together in turnstyles. It would be way too much work to go through 'em now.  I have to do it as I'm going along or it doesn't get done. :)

edit: another nice feature is table printout.  I use DJ cases to store DVDs so it's nice to also have a hard copy print out in the case.  By adding the ID number to the template for table printout, I can print out an alphabetically sorted list with the slot number of the DVD.

Now I have to check the sites for updates and also to see if users are still begging for a grid in the Titles list. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:18 PM by MilesAhead »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 02:13 PM »
PVD has lost its charm for me since the author cursorily got rid of the 'grid view' feature.
That and the fact that it's a one man show with few (if any) people there to update essential plugins like 'IMDB import' if the author abandons the program someday.

I have worked out a way to export the Collectorz database to PVD, so I'll give it another shot if the author ever brings grid view back. There really isn't any 'best' program in this category, IMO. There are a few good ones and all of those have their own gaping flaws. And, if I understand correctly, any program that gets too popular in this category is eventually going to have to pay up or contend with IMDB's legal team.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2010, 02:42 PM »
One thing that kept throwing me as I go for periods without using it, is I'd keep forgetting the easiest way to use it with IMDB.

You mean as far as entering movies into the database?

I settled on doing this Ctrl-N, Type in the movie title with no other data, Ctrl Enter

Repeat for each movie

Then I select a bunch of movies from the left sidebar, and press Ctrl-Alt-I to update them all from the default web site (which for me is IMDB).

It's a little different because normally you see an Update button on the data form itself, but this way seems more flexible.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 02:56 PM »
Everyone of course has their own needs, but PVD seems the must customizable and flexible for my needs. Glad to finally find one that allows an actor list as well as a movie list. Not sure if I looked at Collectorz, though, I will check it out.

PVD has lost its charm for me since the author cursorily got rid of the 'grid view' feature.

Then I'm fortunate not to have ever seen it. I can't miss it if I never had it!

That and the fact that it's a one man show with few (if any) people there to update essential plugins like 'IMDB import' if the author abandons the program someday.

It seems to me most of them are one man shows. It seems to be less of a one man show than EMDB for example, and the scripts forum for PVD looks pretty active to me.

And, if I understand correctly, any program that gets too popular in this category is eventually going to have to pay up or contend with IMDB's legal team.

I have this concern as well. But it seems unavoidable unless a developer pays the IMDB $15,000 or more licensing fee, with the likelihood of never making it back. I looked at one of the text files allowed for non-commercial uses of IMDB data and I found it to be woefully incomplete and not updated since 2005.

EDIT: Just to make sure, I am downloading files from Germany this time, not Sweden, and also the Alternative Movie Database interface linked from that IMDB page and try getting movie information that way.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:18 PM by daddydave »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 03:24 PM »
PVD is the one I've used and liked best, but it had some quirks that eventually made me stop using it, about half way through cataloging my entire collection. One particular annoyance was how difficult it was to edit the automatic decisions it made about e.g. TV series seasons. Creating your own "seasons" or "groups" (e.g. of a movie series, like the X-Men movies) was also difficult or impossible. It also had a hard time finding the correct title sometimes, though it sounds like you guys may have some workarounds for that.

At this point I don't have anything cataloging my movies, and I really want to. So I'll probably revisit PVD at some point, or check some of the other solutions. When I do I'll comment...

- Oshyan

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Well, so much for this little experiment. Maybe the software hasn't been updated since 2005 either!

Screenshot - 8_8_2010 , 7_23_03 PM.jpg

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 06:35 PM »
One thing that kept throwing me as I go for periods without using it, is I'd keep forgetting the easiest way to use it with IMDB.

You mean as far as entering movies into the database?

I settled on doing this Ctrl-N, Type in the movie title with no other data, Ctrl Enter

Repeat for each movie

Then I select a bunch of movies from the left sidebar, and press Ctrl-Alt-I to update them all from the default web site (which for me is IMDB).

It's a little different because normally you see an Update button on the data form itself, but this way seems more flexible.

My situation may be different. I use New Movie Master to get the dialog.  Then there's a globe icon at the bottom as I described.  The reason is many times if it's a foreign film, the list of hits won't have the English title.  If it's a very successful film like Shaolin Soccer it may have the English title, but it that movie wasn't a big hit, the list of hits may have "Siu lam juk kau" instead.  I'm not sure what to select unless I go to IMDB first many times.  The globe brings me there.  Then once I'm sure of the alternate title, I can just hit Go and know what to pick from the hit list.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 10:21 PM »
Ok, I'm back to this subject again, after having spent the last few weeks cleaning up all my file names, removing duplicates, etc. I'll give a quick rundown of my immediate impressions of the various apps I'm trying. Keep in mind these are very far from "reviews", I have fairly specific criteria, and I can't spend a lot of time with each app so I may be missing something that does what I want. I'll apologize in advance, this is going to be a looong one, but hopefully someone finds it useful. ;) As always, I'd love feedback on other people's favorites, experiences with these apps, solutions to problems I ran into, etc.

To start, here's an outline of my situation and needs:

• I have a media machine hooked up to my TV and stereo for movie, TV and music playback; it's a normal PC with HDMI output and about 20TB of data storage available
  • First and foremost I want a media organizer; playback is a bonus - when you're dealing with 100s or 1000s of media files, you stop wanting to browse by title alone and start to want genre, summary, rating, and other info at your finger tips
  • I have TV, movies, and music to organize, but I'd settle for separate programs for each
  • Organizing movies is top priority, TV shows 2nd, music a distant 3rd (I find a simple folder organization sufficient for now)
  • I have access to live TV through a tuner card, but I very seldom use it and don't really care if the app has PVR capability
  • I have existing software players that I like for all my formats but would be willing to use a fully integrated organizer and player system *if* it has a nice full-screen UI and meets other requirements (and provided it plays all my media of course)
  • The system needs a UI that works well on a 50% screen from 8-10 feet away (this potentially eliminates or lessens the value of many of the straight cataloging apps)
  • I need the organizer to automatically pull as much info as possible from online databases (e.g. IMDB) and ideally it would allow choice of which DB to pull from (on a per-file basis even better), or allow for merging multiple sources intelligently
  • I need it to have reasonably smart name parsing, or at least allow me to choose what online data source title I want to associate my local file to, and it needs to give me enough info to make a smart choice (i.e. not just give me a list of matching titles, for which there may be 10 of the same name, but different years, actors, etc.)
  • It should be fairly intelligent with ignoring or flagging files for later review if it can't reasonably figure out online associations for them, in other words if its level of certainty of the file name association to the online title is not high, it should not fill out the info
  • If the auto-tagging functionality associates a file with the wrong info, it should be easily correctable or removable
  • It should allow manual editing and filling out of the same data that would be pulled from an online DB, and manual updates to data already pulled from online
  • If it's just an organizer, it *needs* to allow direct linking to my files for playback and support playing by the player of my choice
  • If it's a full organizer and media playback system, it needs to play all my formats with full features, including subtitles, multiple audio streams, and chapter markers
  • It needs to support sorting by genre, and preferably ratings as well
  • It should have a good search system
  • It should be fairly customizable
  • It should have good support for things that are half-way between a movie and TV show, like a mini-series such as Children of Dune (3 parts)
  • It should support multi-part video files, such as "CD1, CD2" of a movie rip
  • Support of additional services such as Netflix is a bonus
  • Something that supported Win7 Libraries would be especially nice

And this is what I've tried and my thoughts on each:

First there are the full-screen Windows Media Center type apps (HTPC apps), most notably XBMC, but also including MeediOS and several others, and of course Windows Media Center itself.

Windows Media Center
I'll just get this one out of the way. Windows Media Center (WMC) is ok. The UI works at a distance, and the presentation is not bad. But it doesn't have very good real organization and cataloging functionality by itself. There are plugins that make this much better, but I haven't really messed with them as I'm not a big fan of WMC itself. I also prefer a player interface with more control and functionality (getting subtitle support for example requires additional work). So I didn't really see it worthwhile to keep trying to bolt on stuff to WMC.

XBMC
The grandaddy of many of the other apps out there that are apparently forks of XBMC. It has continued to evolve fairly nicely, and at first glance (and first use) it is one of the nicest and most applicable to my needs. It supports movies, music, photos, and more. It can fetch info automatically from various databases (only one at a time). It scanned all my (large) movie folders and assigned data to them from online matches reasonably quickly, with no errors or crashes. It also appeared to be able to play pretty much every video I had. The problems started to appear when I wanted to edit and correct any of th automatically scraped info. I couldn't find a way to do it. There may well be a plugin that does this, but so far it has stumped me.

I also found some quirks using the UI that I wasn't that happy about, but they may be just to do with me using a keyboard and mouse rather than a remote as I think it's designed for. But certainly I think there are issues with intuitiveness, for example if you right-click a file/entry you get a menu and on this menu one option is "settings". Now this isn't settings for this file, it's settings for the folder. In fact, several of the other options on the right-click menu are for the folder, maybe even half or more, and you can't actually get settings for the folder any other way but visiting the System Settings area which requires a lot more mouse clicks.

I've also found the ability to edit titles to be inconsistent between views, and the settings are not necessarily self explanatory. There is some documentation, but it's hardly comprehensive. All this being said I haven't dived into the forums and asked about anything yet, and XBMC seems promising so I'm putting it on a list to follow-up with a bit later, assuming I don't find anything else that works better first.

MeediOS
I should preface these comments by saying this is app is considered "alpha" status now, so it's not fair to expect too much from it. Nonetheless it's considered to be a good option by many, especially if you want configurability, and it has some nice features that sound pretty useful (e.g. the "Jukebox module"). I think it's a result of it being alpha that it is at present rather complicated to setup and configure, but it seems to be getting better.

First impressions are that MeediOS (MOS) is a bit complicated. It has a separate settings app that you have to run to configure it, which is rather annoying. Many of the settings are thereafter available in the UI, but not as clearly presented or easily navigable as in the separate config app. lThe settings themselves are extremely extensive, which is nice from a theoretical control standpoint, but the actual layout is a bit confusing. Fortunately the layouts are at least somewhat standardized, so even though there's a largely extraneous (for my needs) "permissions" tab on virtually every setting panel, I know I can ignore it. There are a few other points I got hung up in the config, particularly figuring out how to add media to my library, but eventually I figured it out. I also ran into an "unspecified error" upon scanning some of my media, which appeared related to fetching actor info, but that wasn't too big a deal. It is alpha software after all. ;)

In actual use, it looks quite nice. Most of the subset of movie folders I scanned had seemingly correct info, though the auto-scraper had problems with e.g. series of movies (Beverly Hills Cop 1-3 for example). There were also occasional issues with seemingly playing the wrong movie, though I think this may have been due to a bug allowing viewing of the properties of 2 movies at the same time. Overall the UI is good, but I didn't have time to get used to the default controls, nor customize them to my needs. The default setup is not well oriented toward a mouse-based approach as far as I saw, though that's not surprising. My HTPC control setup isn't necessarily typical.

The biggest problem with MOS right now (aside from complexity) may be that the built-in player functionality does not work that well. Fortunately it supports external players through a plugin, so this is not necessarily a show stopper. But it does mean that basically it just gives you a nice full-screen UI to *browse* media, and then you need to drop out of it to play anything. Not quite ideal. Still, I found it better than MediaPortal (below) surprisingly enough (MP is supposed to be more mature than MOS). It's not quite a complete solution yet but it has a lot of promise, so I'm mostly including it because of its future potential. Unfortunately it seems people have been waiting a long time for improvements and they come slowly...

MediaPortal
Well, like MeediOS, this one is complicated. One thing that put me off a bit right away was the need to install MySQL5. It's great they have a robust, standards-compliant DB structure, but at the same time I don't really care to run an SQL server on my media machine. You can use another SQL server I believe, but I don't have one setup, so I had to go with a local service version.

Also like MeediOS, MediaPortal (MP) uses separate config apps, but in this case few - if any - of the settings are available in-app, so the config app is more of a necessity. This is not fundamentally a bad thing, but it does make for more "find setting that needs changing in app, exist and configure, re-start app" workflow, which I find annoying. MOS at least let you change a good portion of the settings in the app, even if they weren't always presented in the best way. Most apps let you just go to a settings area, change something, and see the effect. MP also has a lot of config settings, like MOS, though perhaps a tad less confusingly presented (no seemingly extraneous tabs for example). On the plus side, unlike (seemingly) XBMC, they all appear to be in one place, but there's a lot to digest, and you won't know what many things do until you understand how MP works, what the UI looks like in-app, etc.

Anyway it seemed promising, but ultimately it just wouldn't play the majority of my files, at least not out of the box (many are MKV). I fiddled with a few settings and found some threads indicating you had to install various codec systems (e.g. FFDShow), but I've already got codecs installed and working for the rest of my media players and I wasn't about to fiddle with things just for testing. Then it crashed trying to scan one (just one of 9) of my video folders. It also listed files by drive/folder rather than all together, which kind of defeats the purpose of having it catalog them all. This along with a few other rough edges has put me off it for now. There are of course many plugins to do various things, and no doubt ways to get it to play MKV, but the bottom line is I'm not going to take the time to mess around with all that unless I really have to (i.e. there's no other better option). So far XBMC seems a good deal better than this...

Now on to the "cataloging" apps, akin to Media Monkey, Amarok, etc. for music. Examples include J. River Media Center (although it has some Media Center functionality), Personal Video Database (PVD), and others.

J. River Media Center
I don't really understand what the big deal about this is one is. Everyone seems to speak of it like it's the Cadillac of media center/organizers, but it doesn't even support good remote data checking out of the box. There are plugins that do it, but some are not well supported or abandoned, and the simple fact that there are multiple plugins to check and test put me off it. This functionality should come out of the box.

Other than that issue it does seem to be a reasonably nice app, and includes functionality for video, audio, pictures, and more (e.g. notes). There is a good amount of customizability and the UI is decent, but it just really didn't stand out to me over free options. It's not something I would pay for (though I'm happy to pay for something that fulfills more of my needs if it does it well).

Mbase 2
This one is free and others have recommended it before here on DC. Mbase 2 is your basic cataloging application. It's a decent little app with good basic functionality and a reasonable UI (I don't like the way it switches "modes" for adding movies, but once you figure out how the menus work it's fine). Though it has a built-in player, it's very basic, and it does not have a full-screen UI or other Media Center type functionality. Fortunately it also allows you to "open" the file with the default OS file type association, which opens my normal media player. Lookups for movie info were fairly fast and easy. The show stopper for me was that I couldn't find a way add more than 1 movie at a time. When you have hundreds of movies to add, it becomes a daunting task, and with many other options out there that do have mass-import and lookup functionality, it meant there wasn't much point in me continuing to test it.

Collectorz.com Movie Collector
This is a commercial app, so it better be good if I'm going to stick with it (i.e. better than the freeware PVD below). I was limited in the trial version to 50 movies, but I think it was enough to know that this app doesn't fit enough of my needs. It has a nice UI and works pretty smoothly overall, including mass-import of movies and fetching of data. It also links to my default player, which is a major requirement. The UI is a bit small (text size) for working on a TV, but it's do-able, especially if I don't have to mess with it as much once everything is cataloged. I did increase the font size in the settings, which helped, but it still wasn't ideal - the actual layout of the app is not designed for this use necessarily.

Anyway the biggest issue I ran into, which others have mentioned, is the need to use the proprietary Collectorz.com movie database, rather than IMDB, Amazon, themoviedb.org, etc. Of course I understand why they don't use IMDB or Amazon (licensing costs for the data), but themoviedb.org is free to use and used by, I think, many more than just the collectorz.com customers, and therefore a more useful database. I found the collectorz.com database needlessly confusing and cluttered, just as others have. I don't need to see 50 different versions of a single movie just because some people had slight variations or entered the data a little differently. It seems to me there are many alternate sources of data they could be supporting, but they're not. I don't begrudge them use of their own DB of course, the data is sometimes rather specialized, but at least having the *option* to access other databases would be nice. They could simply limit it to free ones, for example.

The DB issue is not necessarily a showstopper, but ultimately I just didn't find anything in this app that was a significant enough improvement over free options (notably PVD) to want to actually buy it. The attitude of the devs on the forums also didn't encourage me that much - not mean per-se, just a little... snippy, I guess. Certainly it's an app with lots of functionality, and might be particularly of use to those who have more of an interest in cataloging physical as opposed to digital media (which is more its originally designed purpose). For my needs it just wasn't a close enough fit.

Personal Video Database (PVD)
PVD is the app I earlier mentioned that I had been using but had set aside due to some quirks. Having now revisited it, after some cleanup of my video file names and some further updates to the software, I think it's the best option at this point. It seems to have most of the important functionality of Collectorz and Mbase 2, it can import data from a variety of sources and has lots of optional plugins to expand this capability, and its name matching works well enough. More importantly, you can edit all the data if something is matched up incorrectly.

That being said, it doesn't seem to be able to auto-select movie info as often as I'd like. It will do so when there is only one option I believe, as in the case of an entirely unique title, but this is often not the case. When more than 1 option is found it presents you with a list of possibilities, and only after you select an association will it auto-download the data. This is a lot more likely to be accurate each time and forces you to verify each decision so you know when there are problems, but it is a bit more work and can be frustrating when getting started. Still, I figure if I can just get over the hump of properly associating all the data, I'll be home free and adding an occasional new movie won't be a big deal.

As far as the original issues I ran into, I've decided just to try addressing those by changing file names, or removing and re-adding items with different search criteria. No solution seems perfect just yet, but I think I can make PVD work. That being said it was after a week or two of cataloging and tweaking in PVD that I gave up last time, so I may still run into something that makes me set it aside again. If the aforementioned problems become more serious and widespread, it may be necessary just to abandon this project for now. But I'll at least try to put my feedback in to the PVD dev in the hopes he can improve it for my needs and those who have similar usage to mine.

*Phew*! After all that I guess I should have called this a mini-roundup, heh. But honestly I don't feel like I gave every app an equal testing, and what tests I did do are very specific to my particular needs. I also didn't test every app out there, or even every app mentioned in this thread (and others on DC). Having come back around to my original choice from many months ago, I must admit I'm a little disappointed to not discover a "miracle solution". But I see many promising apps, ever-evolving, and am hopeful in particular that one day something like MeediOS will be mature and stable enough to do all I need.

As an aside, I feel like a partial solution to the difficulty of auto-associating movie data should not be that difficult to come up with. The few apps I saw that allowed you to customize this functionality relied mostly on regex or wildcard customization to help translate file names into searches for the DBs. I actually spent lots of time renaming files so I wouldn't have to rely on this, but even still I run into a few name-related mess-ups. More importantly however is that even once the title is interpreted correctly from the file name, there still may be multiple matches, or no exact match. Here's where I think things could be handled much better, and where no app seemed to really have much intelligence.

First, provide controls that allow a user to specify criteria for the DB matches that will increase or decrease "confidence" or "weight" of a match, similar to how SpamAssassin and other tools categorize spam. A good example is that most of the movies I have in my collection are fairly mainstream and are generally rated well, or at least by a lot of people. So this gives me several possible controls to control confidence weighting by, for example: Titles with high user ratings are higher weighted, Titles with more user reviews are weighted higher, Titles with more complete information are weighted higher, Titles with posters/images are weighted higher. These are fairly simple criteria and easy to check, and from my experiences with all these apps they would solve at least 50% of the identification issues. Or here's a no brainer: No titles that are in the future! I saw at least 20 multi-title issues due to titles that *haven't come out yet* (often remakes of older ones, of course). These could easily be filtered out.

Combine these kinds of controls with a "confidence" threshold under which titles would perhaps have the most likely data pulled but also be flagged for later review, and you have a big improvement. Embed the actual confidence rating in each title's data and let people sort and search on it later, and long-term progressive refinement of people's collections becomes a lot more powerful.

Also, being able to simply specify an IMDB, free DB, or other URL or ID makes a lot of sense, but I don't think I saw *any* apps that supported this. Or at the very least none supported it in their auto-scanning mode when an unclear identification was found. In PVD for example if it doesn't know for sure what a title is, it will give me a list of possibilities. I can select one and click a link to view it in IMDB, which is an improvement over many other apps' approach. But there is no option to specify my own link/ID, and it's kind of surprising that this doesn't already exist as it seems so obvious.

I suppose I should suggest these things to the PVD dev...

- Oshyan

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 11:11 PM »
Bravo!!  BraVO!!

Man, I was TOTALLY going to be going through this during my planned 2011 home theater makeover edition project.  I am so glad you have detailed everything out, because it saves me a LOT of legwork.  Whew!  I was all set on starting with XBMC, I even was testing it on a virtual machine.  I had played with MeediOS, but like you, I felt it was way too complicated, and I didn't even really continue.  I tried J River, and you are exactly right...what's the big deal?  It is like a Cadillac....think about it...Cadillacs today are not really "hip" cars, just a good name.  Nobody cares about Cadillacs anymore...it's so old school.  Just like J River.  haha

Good stuff, man.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Glad you found it useful! If your needs are similar to mine, you should be pretty happy with PVD or XBMC. PVD is more customizable and it's easier to edit the data, so that's appealing to me more right now. But it's hard to deny how nice the XBMC UI is and I really hope I can figure out how to use it the way I want in the future...

- Oshyan

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Did you give the Boxee software a look?  http://www.boxee.tv/make

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Funny you should ask Skwire, I am *just* looking at it now after I realized I had forgotten it! It was on my original list of options to try, and then as I was researching PVD integration with XBMC (sadly not yet a truly smooth process), I was led to the XBMC forums, and then to another Cataloging-type app called Media Companion (also currently evaluating), and then finally to Boxee. It was then I remembered it was actually fairly high on my list, but I ended up having so many options it got overlooked.

Anyway long story short it is looking *very* promising. It has a nice UI, different than XBMC and maybe not quite as "pretty" IMHO but still extremely good. It is currently scanning one of my movie folders and is so far doing at least as good a job as any other system at identifying stuff, and more importantly its correction system is probably the best I've seen thus far (with the exception of so far not finding a way to specify alternate sites to scrape info from, but that's not a deal breaker). It also has lots of nice additional stuff built-in like access to line TV shows, Netflix, Pandora, etc. most or all of which are available as plugins for other systems like XBMC, but here they're built in and very nicely integrated. It also has genre-based sorting and otherwise decent search. So far, very, very good, at least the equal of XBMC, and probably better due to superior title correction functions. I'll update this in a few days when I'm further along, but I could easily see Boxee winning in the Media Center app type.

As for Media Companion, it looks ok, but so far is not standing out in particular. It does at least seem to have a decent capability to identify stuff without a lot of manual intervention, which remains my biggest complaint against PVD, but the UI is a bit confusing and clunky, and it's also kind of in development transition right now (going open source) which might threaten its future. The PVD community also seems more significant.

More on both of these later...

- Oshyan

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2011, 09:01 PM »
FWIW, I use and like Boxee.   :D

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2011, 09:11 PM »
That's a good vote of confidence. :D What is your particular setup? Physical media or file-based (or both)? Going through a large TV? PC-based or Boxee hardware? What other options have you tried?

- Oshyan

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2011, 09:38 PM »
I use Boxee on a stand-alone media PC connected to a 42" plasma.  All media is retrieved over the network from my Windows Home Server file server.  Physical media such as Blu-ray and DVDs is played from a PlayStation 3.

However, I also use Boxee on my regular PC for a single-purpose which will take a bit of explaining.  I buy the MLB.TV baseball package every year but, over the past few years, they switched from using normal streaming video to a hulking, CPU-sucking, Flash-driven video player travesty.  It is terrible.  Simply trying to watch a baseball game in that drives my CPU to 100% and is pretty much unwatchable since the video is so jittery.  However...queue in Boxee.  It has the ability to tap into the regular h.264 feeds for the MLB games so I just run Boxee in windowed mode on my computer while I work.  The CPU usage is MUCH less and the video is silky-smooth.  Plus, I can resize the game window to whatever size I want.  Does that make sense?

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Makes total sense. Go Boxee! Hehe.

Some further commentary on Media Companion:
This one looks promising, but as I said it's kind of in transition, moving to open source. That in itself may be promising, or may not be. ;)

Feature-wise it's decent, but the UI is a bit clunky. I'm also seeing some crashes/errors (running Win7 x64 here). I think they might be permissions issues, but none of the other apps I've tested seem to have such problems, and what issues they have run into generally don't throw "stop" type errors (more like "error accessing file" or whatever).

Media Companion has also had trouble identifying a number of my files just in my test directory. Worse, it seems hard to really correct. I guess just changing the title of the file is what I have to do (rather than the title "alias" that it scans for, which other apps let you do).

Finally, perhaps the biggest irritation is that it dumped a bunch of files all over my media directory. This may well be configurable, and for some people would actually be great (in fact I think this is why it works with XBMC fairly well, because that app reads the files it puts in the media folders), but personally I want my folders uncluttered. It adds not only NFO files for all films, but also a bunch of other files for actors and other things, along with fan art and cover art. All of it in the source folder of the media it represents. If that works for you then Media Companion may be worth a look in a few months once things stabilize, but for now I'd say it's a pass vs. other more mature free options.

I'll get back to Boxee with more detail soon. Still looking good...

- Oshyan

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2011, 11:43 PM »
Man, Oshyan is really doing us a big service here.  This is a lot of legwork and analysis.  Thanks dude.