ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the Best Movie Collection Organizer Program

<< < (8/11) > >>

daddydave:
One thing that kept throwing me as I go for periods without using it, is I'd keep forgetting the easiest way to use it with IMDB.
-MilesAhead (August 08, 2010, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

You mean as far as entering movies into the database?

I settled on doing this Ctrl-N, Type in the movie title with no other data, Ctrl Enter

Repeat for each movie

Then I select a bunch of movies from the left sidebar, and press Ctrl-Alt-I to update them all from the default web site (which for me is IMDB).

It's a little different because normally you see an Update button on the data form itself, but this way seems more flexible.

daddydave:
Everyone of course has their own needs, but PVD seems the must customizable and flexible for my needs. Glad to finally find one that allows an actor list as well as a movie list. Not sure if I looked at Collectorz, though, I will check it out.

PVD has lost its charm for me since the author cursorily got rid of the 'grid view' feature.
-nosh (August 08, 2010, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Then I'm fortunate not to have ever seen it. I can't miss it if I never had it!

That and the fact that it's a one man show with few (if any) people there to update essential plugins like 'IMDB import' if the author abandons the program someday.

--- End quote ---

It seems to me most of them are one man shows. It seems to be less of a one man show than EMDB for example, and the scripts forum for PVD looks pretty active to me.

And, if I understand correctly, any program that gets too popular in this category is eventually going to have to pay up or contend with IMDB's legal team.

--- End quote ---

I have this concern as well. But it seems unavoidable unless a developer pays the IMDB $15,000 or more licensing fee, with the likelihood of never making it back. I looked at one of the text files allowed for non-commercial uses of IMDB data and I found it to be woefully incomplete and not updated since 2005.

EDIT: Just to make sure, I am downloading files from Germany this time, not Sweden, and also the Alternative Movie Database interface linked from that IMDB page and try getting movie information that way.

JavaJones:
PVD is the one I've used and liked best, but it had some quirks that eventually made me stop using it, about half way through cataloging my entire collection. One particular annoyance was how difficult it was to edit the automatic decisions it made about e.g. TV series seasons. Creating your own "seasons" or "groups" (e.g. of a movie series, like the X-Men movies) was also difficult or impossible. It also had a hard time finding the correct title sometimes, though it sounds like you guys may have some workarounds for that.

At this point I don't have anything cataloging my movies, and I really want to. So I'll probably revisit PVD at some point, or check some of the other solutions. When I do I'll comment...

- Oshyan

daddydave:
Well, so much for this little experiment. Maybe the software hasn't been updated since 2005 either!

MilesAhead:
One thing that kept throwing me as I go for periods without using it, is I'd keep forgetting the easiest way to use it with IMDB.
-MilesAhead (August 08, 2010, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

You mean as far as entering movies into the database?

I settled on doing this Ctrl-N, Type in the movie title with no other data, Ctrl Enter

Repeat for each movie

Then I select a bunch of movies from the left sidebar, and press Ctrl-Alt-I to update them all from the default web site (which for me is IMDB).

It's a little different because normally you see an Update button on the data form itself, but this way seems more flexible.

-daddydave (August 08, 2010, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

My situation may be different. I use New Movie Master to get the dialog.  Then there's a globe icon at the bottom as I described.  The reason is many times if it's a foreign film, the list of hits won't have the English title.  If it's a very successful film like Shaolin Soccer it may have the English title, but it that movie wasn't a big hit, the list of hits may have "Siu lam juk kau" instead.  I'm not sure what to select unless I go to IMDB first many times.  The globe brings me there.  Then once I'm sure of the alternate title, I can just hit Go and know what to pick from the hit list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version