ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the Best Movie Collection Organizer Program

<< < (6/11) > >>

Innuendo:
No problem. Understand that DVD Profiler is a pretty decent software otherwise. The issues I posted just happen to be points that nag at me - might be personal preference in my case, IDK. -J-Mac (March 12, 2010, 10:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I completely understand it is decent software. It's some of the best on the market. However, the points that nag at you seem be exactly the kind of points that would nag at me were I a registered user.

Needless to say I was not amused...-J-Mac (March 12, 2010, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

If that were me in your shoes my lividness would be strong. :(

sajman99:
Thanks a lot J-Mac for all the DVD Profiler comments. :Thmbsup:

I value the feedback of actual users much more than any other considerations.

Innuendo:
I value the feedback of actual users much more than any other considerations.-sajman99 (March 13, 2010, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly! One user review from a person who uses something every day is worth 20 professional reviews from people who only used something for an hour or two in order to write the review.

daddydave:
I've been trying to figure this out, too. A lot of these seem to put a lot of effort into mirroring IMDB, which I don't think is really necessary for my needs. I don't really even need box shots, although they are nice to have. Which are best at letting you add your own custom fields and tags to both movies and actors and getting rid of fields you don't care about, and letting you make custom movie lists?  I've been experimenting with creating a custom database with SQLite Administrator and have been tempted to start a movie database design thread here. But I can't believe no one has designed a movie database in SQLite before that I could use as a starting point, but I couldn't Google one up.

J-Mac:
Last reply notification prompted me to comment on my latest movie/DVD collection program, CATVids from FN Programs. This one is basically the exact same format as all their other collection programs: BookCAT for Book; SoftCAT for software; CATraxx for Music; and I think they also have a stamp collection program too - something with Stamp and CAT in the title I'm sure!  :P

Anyway, I am doing OK with CATVids for my DVDs. Of course there are some little bits that get me a little twisted now and then but overall its capability for customization is great enough to make me very happy with it overall. One caveat is that there is no separate field for Edition, so all of your titles end up looking something like "The Godfather (Widescreen Edition)(25th Anniversary Special Edition)". That drives me nuts as I much prefer to see the Edition info elsewhere - anywhere but cluttering up the title! I end up just cutting it out of the title and pasting it into a custom field, of which there are many. (Custom fields, that is). But overall you can do just about anything you want with the database to make it work for you. All of FN Programs' apps are like that.

Definitely my best collection apps to date!

Thank you.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version