ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

For Developers: Do Donations Make a Difference?

<< < (5/9) > >>

Veign:
btw speaking of bandwidth overload, if veign or any other freeware/donationware author finds themselves unexpectedly running out of bandwidth for their months alotment or whatever, just drop me a line and we'd be happy to host your file until things cool down.
-mouser (September 06, 2005, 03:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanx for the offer..

Carol Haynes:
Mouser - out of curiosty how are you hosting your site and community pages? Are you running your own server or is it being hosted externally and costing you dosh?

mouser:
we are paying $45 a month to powervps.com for a virtual server account.

this means our site runs on a compute rthat also hosts other people's accounts (ie not on our own computer), but it runs simulated as if it is it's own server, so we have complete control over the software that runs on it.

although thats a big chunk of the monthly donations, the support has been excellent, and PowerVps was chosen after a long search for companies with good reputations and stability, which i've found they lived up to their good reputation.  The plan provides us with ample bandwidth.  The only issue that I have is the site can occasionally be a little slow - that's the only thing that has me considering moving eventually.

bugmaster:

(1) Do donations from users make you want to work on pay more attention to a program, or not?

(2) If you get few or no donations, do you discontinue the program's development, no matter how good it is?
-zridling (September 04, 2005, 01:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

(1)
If there are several products, then donations help to determine, which of the products should be given preference - in development, updates, etc.
(2)
If you don't have a donations (1 yr and more), and also: feedback and web site traffic, you need to to conduct a special sociological study. Possibly, actually unsuccessful product idea?

Thanks,
Dmitry Baranow
ExtraLabs Software

mouser:
dmitry makes a great point -
donations really can influence what you work on.  if you have 10 programs, and people donate primarily to one of them, it's just human nature that you find yourself drawn to work on that one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version