topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Stupid Copying and Pasting in XP?  (Read 4474 times)

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stupid Copying and Pasting in XP?
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Well I'm trying to update my files in my backups (just a backup of music and images I've taken). In Vista and Ubuntu the default copying and pasting is smarter. If I copy and paste, I can choose to ignore existing files that way avoiding the trouble of having to recopy and repasting them.

But in XP I can't seem to do that. It just gives me the option to copy over the existing file/folder, copy over all existing files/folders, no, or cancel.

No seems to do the same thing as cancel.

I'm looking for an application where I can tell it to "ignore the existing files and just copy and paste the new ones over".

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stupid Copying and Pasting in XP?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:52 PM »
There are many ways to do so.
There are copy tools installed as shell extension into the context menu.
There are synchronization tools
There are backup tools
There are file managers like Total Commander or Servant Altap Salamander or even freeware Freecommander with an sync tool aboard too

What have you tried till now?
What do you prefer?

If you search this forum you will find threads about this issue.
https://www.donation...shell+extension+copy    (thanks wordzilla )

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 05:59 PM »
Thanks, your post reminded me to check my XYplorer file manager and found out that the backup option does what I'm asking.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Well I'm trying to update my files in my backups (just a backup of music and images I've taken). In Vista and Ubuntu the default copying and pasting is smarter. If I copy and paste, I can choose to ignore existing files that way avoiding the trouble of having to recopy and repasting them.

But in XP I can't seem to do that. It just gives me the option to copy over the existing file/folder, copy over all existing files/folders, no, or cancel.

I'm looking for an application where I can tell it to "ignore the existing files and just copy and paste the new ones over".

Err, how about: Windows XP  ;)

It's not obvious, but hold SHIFT down while you click 'No' and it'll do just what you're after.  :)

Why they couldn't have put a button in the dialogue box that does this is a complete mystery  :huh:

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 01:04 PM »
I think it is historical stupidity - they seem to have had the same 'issue' in previous versions of Windows too.

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 09:34 PM »

Err, how about: Windows XP  ;)

It's not obvious, but hold SHIFT down while you click 'No' and it'll do just what you're after.  :)

Why they couldn't have put a button in the dialogue box that does this is a complete mystery  :huh:

Haha and I thought I knew most of the Windows shortcuts. And yes.. why they didn't put it in the dialog box itself is a complete mystery.