topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mini-Review: Sumotori (Sumo Wrestling Game)  (Read 16081 times)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mini-Review: Sumotori (Sumo Wrestling Game)
« on: April 23, 2007, 11:33 PM »
Basic Info

App NameSumotori
App URLhttp://web.t-online....u/archee83/sumotori/
App Version Reviewed1.01
Test System Specs
866 mhz PIII
512 mb ram
32 mb Ge-Force 2-MX
Windows XP SP2
Supported OSesWindows
Support MethodsEmail [email protected]
Upgrade PolicyNA
Pricing SchemeFreeware
Author Donation LinkThe Author: Archee
Also, don't forget that Jan-S  introduced us to the game.
Screencast Video URLYouTube video: http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=BgBuIJsjpuM
Relationship btwn. Reviewer and Product I am not the programmer, nor do I have any relationship to the programmer at all

Intro:

Jan-S posted about this little game earlier today: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=8227.0.  After downloading it and trying it out, and laughing so hard that I cried, I had to let you all know what its all about.

interface.pngMini-Review: Sumotori (Sumo Wrestling Game)

Who is this app designed for:

Anyone with a computer fast enough to handle it, and an appreciation for physical humor.

The Good

This is a tiny little game (86kb!!!!!) that "simulates" sumo wrestling.  All you do is try to shove your opponent down.  Of course, that's easier said than done.  The controls are very simple:

Down {S} - Tap the ground to start a match (You have to tap the ground at the same time as your opponenet.  Just hit down a couple of times to get it to start.)
Up {W} - Walk foward
Left and Right Arrows {A and W} - Shuffle side to side
Enter {SHIFT} - Push with one hand
Backspace {CONTROL} - Push with both hands

It has a two player mode with similar controls on the other side of the keyboard (In curly braces above).

ready.pngMini-Review: Sumotori (Sumo Wrestling Game) push.pngMini-Review: Sumotori (Sumo Wrestling Game) shove.pngMini-Review: Sumotori (Sumo Wrestling Game)

The trick is that your wrestler moves like it has had way too much to drink.  Most rounds consist of running into your opponent, pushing once or twice, and laughing maniacally as one or both loose their balance and crash to the mat.  The first wrestler to contact the ground with something other than their feet loses.  After the round, the wrestlers try to stand up with comic results as they stumble around and fall into the walls surrounding the ring.  To win the bout, you have to win at least 5 bouts and have two more wins than your opponent.  That means you could win 5-3, or 7-5, but not 5-4.

ringout.pngMini-Review: Sumotori (Sumo Wrestling Game) crash.pngMini-Review: Sumotori (Sumo Wrestling Game)

There is a hidden mode that is equally as silly.  I won't spoil the fun for you, but I will give a hint: On the menu, throw blocks at everything.

The game has various graphical detail settings so you can make it run well on most computers.  You can adjust resolution, color depth, and how many shadows are visible.  I was able to get a good framerate at 800x600 32bit color with no shadows.  Keep in mind that my PC is rather old, so most will probably be able to run at higher framerates and with more shadows.

settings.pngMini-Review: Sumotori (Sumo Wrestling Game)

The needs improvement section

Considering the program is so tiny, there isn't much to complain about.  Sure the music is a little odd, but it makes it all the more amusing.  The controls are a little strange and there is no way to remap them, but they get the job done and lend themselves to two players on the same keyboard.

Why I think you should use this product

It's funny.  And it's impressive at less than 100K.

How does it compare to similar apps

I don't think there are any similar apps.

Conclusions

I haven't laughed so hard in ages.  My wife of two years told me that she has never heard me laugh as hard as I did when I first started playing.  I'm sure it will get old eventually (though the two player will probably extend that), but for the laughs and the fact that it is so tiny, I have to give this full marks: 5 out of 5.  :Thmbsup:

Links to other reviews of this application

It won at BreakPoint 2007 (whatever that is) http://breakpoint.un...rgrund.net/after.php
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:11 AM by cthorpe »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mini-Review: Sumotori (Sumo Wrestling Game)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:07 AM »
OMG, that is freakin hilarious — great find cthorpe!

archee

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 11:14 PM »
Hi everyone, thanks for the review!
Im the author of Sumotori Dreams. I have been working on home grown physics engine, and later on characters that can balance, and it was quite entertaining to me as well, when I saw them stumble around, so I taught, I would share this fun with you in this little release.
I would very much appreciate any donations either here or on the official page. That would also encourage me to work on some more similar releases.

The official page:
http://web.t-online....u/archee83/sumotori/

Id also like to thank hereby the party Breakpoint ( http://breakpoint.untergrund.net ), which is a great assembly for developers and beginners of free computer art.

Thanks very much: Archee

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 11:21 PM »
Welcome to the site Archee - your program really seems to have struck a nerve here -- great work with a great sense of humour :)

Can't wait to see what you come up with next, i hope you'll keep us informated.  Some donationcredits coming your way from me now.

Jan-S

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Big Bang enterprises
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 04:37 PM »
Hi Archee, and welcome! Nice to see you over here.

I've just played the game again and it is still funny as hell :)! Actually it would give a great screensaver (computer vs. computer, infinite number of bouts), or, even better, a toy robot ;D. I'm curious about what other releases you have in mind - the engine looks very capable (actually I found the secret before even having played a single round, because I was so fascinated of the menu :-[).

Please keep us informed if you create another game or tech demo or a Sumotori Screensaver!
Jan Schlüter, author of DoubleKiller and DoubleKiller Pro
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 04:50 PM by Jan-S »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 04:42 PM »
it would make a great screensaver.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 07:41 AM »
Don't alt-tab out of it while it is running, that locks up my Vista machine. (clicking on desktop with dual monitor eek). That said, it's fantastic and very enjoyable gameplay indeed well worth a try :) :-*
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:04 AM by justice »

archee

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 10:15 AM »
I removed the donation buttons on the main homepage, but if you want, you can send me donation credits here. Thanks very much.