topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Online Marketing for Beginners  (Read 6054 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Online Marketing for Beginners
« on: April 22, 2007, 11:06 AM »
A somewhat humorous, yet informative introduction to search engine optimization and online marketing.

It is amazing how many people hire online marketers without the faintest idea of what online marketers actually do. Search engine optimisation (SEO) is fairly simple - SEOs will try and improve your site's performance, usually by trying to leverage their knowledge of how search engines work and tricks they can use to make sites seem more relevant than they actually are to specific keywords.

Marketing online, though, need not have anything to do with search engines. Search engines are irrelevant - good positions and traffic are a by-product of effective online marketing.

Unfortunately, after educating a client on what online marketing is, they usually assume that if they pay you a few hundred pounds, you can make their site compete with the very best out there.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Online Marketing for Beginners
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 11:14 AM »
Curious.. why is this in the developers section?

Online marketing involves general marketing.. copy writing, etc. plus the net extra's such as seo, ppc, articles, blogging, and a load of other stuff... online marketing isn't just about seo.. i mean how is seo gonna help if you copy sux.. etc.  :)
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 09:54 PM »
Curious.. why is this in the developers section?

the description for this section:

Discuss programmer / entrepreneur / web-design related issues

I though it fit here, based on this section's description. If it's in the wrong place, I am sure mouser will move it.

Online marketing involves general marketing.. copy writing, etc. plus the net extra's such as seo, ppc, articles, blogging, and a load of other stuff... online marketing isn't just about seo.. i mean how is seo gonna help if you copy sux.. etc.  :)

He mentions a lot of that in his article.  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 11:34 PM »
Yep, dev corner is really not just for programming but for all entrepeneur / web design type posts also.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:24 AM »
Sorry  ;D Didn't register the descrip. in my brain ;) then again.. Dev + Entrepreneur in the same cat? lol.. If it was Global Dev or Life Dev or some thing it would fit a bit more.. but I guess programming and entrepreneurs do go together some times :P

;D

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 01:41 AM »
I figure writing software is the hard part. But the really hard part comes with all the documentation, marketing, a decent website presentation, and 9,999 other things it requires. Not understanding the bigger picture handicaps a lot of potentially good software.