ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Worst. Interface. Ever.

<< < (2/10) > >>

nudone:
like mouser, i hate apple. absolutely everything they do, without exception. i can't wait for ipods to become the most uncool item on the planet - in around 12 months i'd say.

as for Photoshop, as i use it all the time, it just feels natural. the abundance of keyboard controls are obviously there to make the work flow quicker (toggling between functions without having to keep flicking around the screen clicking on buttons).

using the alt key to reset, that mouser pointed out, does seem like taking things too far but i guess it just seemed natural for the adobe design team as they were so used to incorporating keyboard controls.

it looks to me that Adobe know their customers. they expect them to be using something like Photoshop day in and day out and therefore will be wanting the most efficient way of performing a task. if that means using both hands to get it done then so be it. if it means having to memorise keyboard controls then it's worth it as it speeds up the work flow afterwards.

Photoshop has acquired buttons over the years to accommodate non keyboard controls but i have to admit things like hit alt for reset are still strangely dominant. in defence of not having a button for every possible function i'd have to say try using something like 3D Studio Max or other 3D apps. if you want to see how many buttons can fit on an interface at one time then they are a good place to look.

i know Photoshop isn't an intuitive interface at first glance (or several glances) but after making the effort and treating it as a serious application that may even require training to use, it does become intuitive and quite natural to work with.

let's not forget that all sophisticated programs are completely unintuitive to the newcomer. i have no idea how to navigate around any code writing software but i wouldn't expect them to be any less complicated in their layout. i respect that all/many complex applications can't be mastered within a couple of sittings and that the designers behind them never intended them to be.

high end progs that do clever things require time to be understood. they aren't aimed at the casual user so it seems unfair to me to expect them to have a simple interface. the balance that they strike between usability and functionality no doubt seems skewed in the wrong direction to the novice user but after a few hours/days/weeks the same user will appreciate why the interface is the way it is.

having said all that, i still don't know why alt means reset in Photoshop. Maybe it's like an initiation process to the Adobe clan. if you don't know about such things then you obviously haven't earned your stripes - it's a way of making people like me think i've got some kind of superior knowledge over people that haven't read the manual.

mouser:
all good points nudone, and in fact i am coming to realize the probably unavoidable tension between having an efficient user interface for both firsttime users and longtime users.  some things just do not work for both, and clearly photoshop, justifyably so, is an extreme example of a program designed for hardcore daily users, rather than making it easy to use the first time you use it.

however i find myself wondering the same thing as you:
having said all that, i still don't know why alt means reset in Photoshop. Maybe it's like an initiation process to the Adobe clan. if you don't know about such things then you obviously haven't earned your stripes - it's a way of making people like me think i've got some kind of superior knowledge over people that haven't read the manual.
--- End quote ---

which is really too much.

tinyvillager:
Real Player or Real one or whatever they call it now, gets my vote for worst interface.
And it's a real shame(pardon the pun)cause the format,real media,isn't all that bad.
They've tone down their spyware practices a little which is a plus.My first experience
with streaming media was with Real Player back in the mid 90's and it was pretty
cool back then.Maybe google should buy them ;)Actually google's video service
is a horrible let down and could actually benefit from them.

mouser:
tiny villager - i think i agree with you 100%.
a lot of people hate on real format - i actually am quite fond of it, and cspan realmedia has been one of the best things i can think of.
and furthermore i dont find it too hard to turn off all their spy stuff, and have never been very annoyed with it.
but the damn controls on the player to bring up menus and stuff are annoying as hell.
of course i play winamp, they started this insane practice of skinning audio apps and now everyone has to do it.

Carol Haynes:
Try Real Alternative - can't get any simpler interface and works great. Minimal impact too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version