ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Worst. Interface. Ever.

<< < (9/10) > >>

mrainey:
You can make Directory Opus as lean and mean as you like.  I use about 10% of what it offers, and hide the rest.

My system was fine (and still is, six months later).  xplorer^2 is just a buggy piece of software, in my opinion.  Lots of times on their forum, when somebody would talk about a problem they were having, the developer's only answer was along the lines of  "I don't understand, it's supposed to work".

Good luck with whatever you use.

Innuendo:
Speaking for old MS-DOS curmudgeons everywhere I'll make this vague, sweeping generalization of a statement....If a program doesn't have keyboard shortcuts for at least all major functions then it has a crummy user interface.

Out of the box Total Commander does not look very attractive at all. However, it is very customizable and if you master its potential you will be able to perform file operations tens of times faster than any mouse jockey. It's brilliant.

Directory Opus is brilliant as well. I used the author's programs on the Amiga and he definitely knows what he is doing. I just think he's a little out of touch when it comes to product pricing and pricing of upgrades.

Here's a screenshot of Total Commander as I have it configured & I don't think it looks bad at all.

f0dder:
Innuendo, that looks a lot better than any other Total Commander screenshot I've ever seen  :Thmbsup:

Still too much wasted space & icons for my liking - I never use those since I prefer keyboard shortcuts, so they only end up wasting screen real estate. But considering that you've managed to make TC at least relatively decent-looking, I guess it's worth another look. I don't understand why the default install of TC has to be so crummy-looking :)

Innuendo:
f0dder,
I can afford wasted screen space as I scaled that down from 1600x1200 and I wanted all that open space so I could see extra-long filenames. However, everything can be customized. The icons, columns, etc. are all customizable & there are hundreds of plugins available that add even more functionality.

Anyone who says Total Commander is ugly either hasn't bothered to customize the interfacer or is not aware that it is possible to customize the interface. People have been trying to get the author to change the default out-of-the-box look for years unsuccessfully.

jgpaiva:
f0dder i have to agree with you,regardless EMACS  is an extremely powerfull tool,it looks just bad! still,and as you mentioned that kind of apps,i would have to say that the worst interface ever,would be vim! I tried using it once,ran it under Linux on command line,and took me loads of time to even be able to exit it! (i even think i had to restart the machine) I think that nothing about vim makes sense,and i can't see the point of using such editor if you have emacs ;)
Just now,thinking about it,i don't even know if vim can be included in this thread,as there is no interface.. (or is there one and i couldn't find it???)

ps: this is just IMHO,vim users please don't try to send me an anthrax-filled letter or something like that!  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version