ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Worst. Interface. Ever.

<< < (7/10) > >>

mouser:
agree, dantz retrospect has a very confusing interface.

zridling:
I've been working with NewsLeecher this week, and frankly, it's a complete mess (and doesn't include a Help file!). But its longtime users love it.

Rover:
Alright you guys, lay off total commander... ;)

It really is a powerful tool and I was even thinking about writing a review; which is how I found this thread.
Anyway, out of the box it is a little cluttered, but when you customize it things get better.

This is how mine looks.  It is running somewhere on my system 100% of the time.  It even has a  launch bar you can customize with frequently used apps.  It has a TON of cool features, including some powerful synchronization and file/text comparison.

If you want a really lame interface, try to recall Microsoft Bob.  Can't?  It was so lame, it only lasted about 3 months.  One of the only true Microsoft products (they bought everything that's popular, including the XP kernal) and it was pathetic. 

Catalin:
There are many mirrors around, like:

http://homepage.mac.com/bradster/iarchitect/

Hirudin:
Rant time....

but i do have to say i have a personal hatred for photoshop interface
--- End quote ---
I can't say I'm a big fan of Photoshop/Gimp interafaces... could be because I've only used them a couple times!  They just seem to clutter up the screen.
--- End quote ---
Me too/eitgher. Every now and then I think "hey, I'll use Photoshop instead of Paint Shop Pro, after all Photoshop is better..." then about 3 seconds in, when I can't zoom using the scroll wheel, I realize that it's not worth trying to deal with. Adobe needs to take every one button mouse in their lab and throw them in an incinerator, then they need to have their memories erased Total Recall style. Having to hold a key and click (instead of simply *Gasp* right-clicking) to zoom out is beyond unintuitive.
Another thing I hate, since we're on the subject, is how zoom out in *Adobe* Photoshop is Alt + Click and zoom out in *Adobe* Acrobat is Ctrl + Click... How stupid can stupid Adobe be?
It seems like The Gimp took the stupid aspects of PS and intensified them by taking the main program window away. I don't want to see my web browser behind the image I'm trying to work on.

[edit]
i'm afraid photoshop users are really just subjects in an mental experiment to see how many hotkeys one person can remember, or how many inconsistent dialogs can a person put up with before they break down.
--- End quote ---
HAHAHAHAHH!!!!HAHAH!
[/edit]

An Apple representative recently tried to give me QuickTime 7 Pro for free and I declined simply because of the interface.
--- End quote ---
LOL! Stick it to em! Hey, at least with the Pro version you could maximize the video if you wanted to.

but 6.0 of any of the DivX products makes me feel like I've been lobotomised.  How do I do anything?
--- End quote ---
HAHAHAHA!!! I've used the 5.2 (or whatever) divx player like once, it wasn't immediately better than BSPlayer (actually, what is?) so I uninstalled/ignored it.

I love skinnable apps! If I don't like the interface I can get a skin to fix it. The old Winamps had this all wrong (winamp 2.x skinning was a HUGE P.I.T.A.!!!!). I don't remember exactly, but the "next track" button was slightly smaller than the rest (in the words of a geek on the Simpsons: "I hope someone got fired over that one"). I think the new one (5.x) has better skinning options though.

here's a screenshot of total commander
--- End quote ---
Good Lord!

I think I'll throw in my 2¢...
As it seems like ½ my posts have included either The Godfather or BSPlayer, so I'll start with those.
The Godfather - bad interface, awesome program. I wont get into the details, but for me, it seems like it's several apps inside one window. A function you think might be in one "app" is actually in another, other functions are in both.
BSPlayer - The original skin is pretty bad, but the skins "BladeV1.01" and "G20" fix it pretty well.

Nero - I'm sorry, but Nero 6's interface sucks! I don't know how many times I went to burn a DVD only to realize that I forgot to change the tiny CD or DVD drop down menu from CD to DVD. And WHY do I have to
1. start the program
2. close the "New Compilation" window
then
3. click Recorder > Burn Image
to burn an image file when every other burning option is IN the "New Compilation" window?

One of the "worst / best / worst again" interfaces I've used was Lightwave 7.5! They took normal Windows conventions (like Ctrl + Z = undo) and threw them out the window. On the other hand, it actually worked VERY well (undo is U... that's it, just U, redo is Shift U (makes sense don't it? U for Undo!)).

Maya - Complicated, but usable. In order to use Maya your left hand pretty much can't leave the vicinity of Ctrl / Shift / Alt (you constantly use all 3) AND it requires a 3 button mouse (take that Adobe).

Rant over....

And last but not least:
Rhino 2.0 - has got to be the most intuitive program I've ever used. The repetative tasks that you have to do 5000 times on every image are all on the mouse. Right-click will repeat the last task you did if you tap it, if you're in the middle of doing a task it'll move you to the next step, if you right-click and drag (at any time) it'll drag/rotate the view, the scroll wheel actually zooms (again, how does Adobe leave this feature out?), left clicking does everything else. If you click in an area where 2 or more objects lie it'll highlight the top one, every subsequent click will cycle through the objects, then just right click when the correct one is highlighted (also a menu pops up with the different object types, which you can click if you prefer), if none of the objects are correct you don't have to start the whole task over, just select "None" from the menu and click somewhere else. Rhino restores my faith in the possibilities of computer software every time I use it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version