ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

[suggestion] ProcessGuard and RegDefend

<< < (2/2)

mouser:
the point about possibly causing trouble during an install is a really good one,
i can easily see one of these protection programs totally creating havok with the install of an app that used some system drivers, etc. and i'd be concerned about such a possibility.

Scott:
Security software that causes stability or other problems has failed, just as locking your storefront door, and preventing customers to enter, has failed.  (Great security, though.)

mouser:
yeah,

i guess i favor a backup/virtualmachine - centric approach.

this basically says that you should have backups so that if you get infected by something you can roll back your machine to a good backup, rather than trying to find and clean the infection.

and secondly, run all suspicious stuff on a virtual machine instead of your main machine.

the only fly in that ointment is that a trojan can send sensitive stuff out through the internet so by then the damage may be done..

nudone:
i second that.

since installing vmware i have tested installations there first that i thought might be a bit dodgy.

the system backup still remains my favourite means of security though - you can come over and blow my machine up if it takes your fancy. my systems all backed up in the other room. (just don't come and burn the other room down, that would be upsetting.)

okay, seriously. it might be a bit of an inconvenience to have to restore your system after it goes t*ts up. but that only takes a few minutes - rather that than waste time trying to figure out what's been compromised on your computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version