ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Network/application traffic inspection

(1/2) > >>

Carol Haynes:
My network continuously seems to be transmitting and receiving data (even when the computer has been idle with no apps running). I have check that there are no viruses, spyware etc. and can't find any evidemce of anything sinster going on.

Anyone got any ideas on any software that will show you which applications are currently talking to the network/wan (preferably something that can resolve how programs like svchost have been called) and also to look at what data is being sent and received ?

Eóin:
Ethereal is a name I've often heard mentioned for this purpose. Its seem now it's going under the new name Wireshark. Haven't used it myself in a long time, and even then it was only ever just out of curiosity.

f0dder:
There's almost always a bit of traffic going on, windows machines are very "chatty", trying to do network discovery of other computers etc... "netstat" can show a lot of info, iirc also which service from a svchost process that has the connections going.

To be more thorough than that, you'll want some traffic analyzer. Been years since I used those, so I'm not up to date there, sorry.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for those two ideas ....

Strangely a lot of traffic seems to be to google.com - which is strange 'cos I don't have any google apps running, and it happens even when my browser is closed.

The actual traffic appears to be pinging the google site - anyone any ideas why this might be happening

f0dder:
Hm, sounds suspicious.

Do you have any idea whether it's a massive amount of data, or just a small trickle every now and then? Perhaps your router offers some overview of bandwidth usage, or you could try some network meter thing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version