ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help! PC hanging on first boot

<< < (3/4) > >>

JennyB:
Another thought on the Windows side. Some time ago I changed the default account to limited and added an admin account for installing software. It still (normally) boots into thedefault account. How can I change that, so that I get the choice on boot?

Carol Haynes:
If it is the PSU settling down after use you can try this ...

Switch on and go into the BIOS and watch the voltage levels for a couple of minutes and note what is happening.

Go and have a cup of coffee or two

After 15-20 minutes check the voltages in the BIOS if they are still erratic you could try replacing the PSU - if they have settled down reboot your system.

Trouble is that decent PSUs are expensive. If you do buy one get one that is future proofed. I an guessing your system has a 20 pin mobo connector - there are lots of decent PSUs with a 20 pin connector and an extra 4 pin block which clips to the end to make it compatible with the newer 24 pin connectors.

A PSU I have been seriously impressed with is Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU

It is beautifully built, completely modular, supports 20/24 pin mobos and comes beautifully packages in a reusable tool box! I bought it for a spare computer (long story) because it was well rated and a decent price.

Carol Haynes:
Another thought on the Windows side. Some time ago I changed the default account to limited and added an admin account for installing software. It still (normally) boots into thedefault account. How can I change that, so that I get the choice on boot?
-JennyB (April 22, 2007, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Use TweakUI to set the account that logs in automatically. You can download it from the Microsoft Power Toys page or directly from TweakUI Installer

JennyB:
Too early to say for sure, but switching Windows back to manual log in and replacing the button cell seemsto have done the trick. The PSU fan is running Ok even though the BIOS doesn't detect it.

Given Mouser's recent experience, I'm not inclined to mess with it any more!  :P 

Carol Haynes:
PSU fans often aren't detected - does the PSU actually have a fly lead to connect the fan to the motherboard? Most don't in my experience (I have bought many PSUs over the years and have yet to see one with a detectable fan) and then the BIOS has no way to know even if there is one!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version