topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Program that'll allow you to change what pops up in place of Task Manager  (Read 13423 times)

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
*subject* (when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL/CTRL+SHIFT+ESC)

It'll allow people to use another taskmanager in place of the default one.

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Zero3k,

IMHO the best TaskManager replacement is ProcessExplorer from Sysinternals.com
And hi has already an option "replace Ctrl+Shift+ESC to oben ProcEx"

And the standard answer to remap your keys is AutohotKey.com

HTH U  :(

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
 :( There is no way to capture the Ctrl-Alt-Del properly in AHK, but the following code comes quite close:

Download and install AutoHotKey from www.autohotkey.com. Save the script as ChangeTaskManager.ahk and doubleclick to run.

Skrommel

;ChangeTaskManager.ahk
^!Del::
Run,Notepad.exe
Return

^+Esc::
MsgBox,Calc.exe
Return

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry for bringing it back up, but I just recently learned of how to replace Task Manager. All you have to do is:

• First, Open the Registry Editor
  • Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options
  • Create a new key there called taskmgr.exe.
  • In the newly created key, add a string labeled debugger.
  • Edit the debugger string with the path (in quotes if necessary) to the program that you want to replace the Task Manager with.
  • Finally, close the Registry Editor

BTW, I learned of the above from a MSDN blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnfa/archive/2004/10/06/238923.aspx)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
oh nice find zero! thanks for letting us know, could come in handy.

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
THX zero  :Thmbsup:

bobsobol

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow! People on my level! This place is nice :)

Related to this issue, I already knew how to change the TaskManager, but haven't yet found one with the functionality I want.

This is gonna sound like another version of the Text Editor request. But I actually need a Task Manager which filters certain Tasks from the list. This sounds like a Trojen or Spyware trick I know, but I run a network at a secondary school, and have to struggle between allowing the kids to kill Word when they search for clipard and it locks up for like 3hrs on the search not allowing them to do anything else till it's finnished, and stopping them from closing essential system processes, or worse, attempting to close the network monitoring and security tasks.

Does anyone know of a TaskManager with filtered Task List?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i don't know of a taskmanager that will do what you are requesting - but that is mainly because i don't know about such things.

i'd just like to suggest an alternative: how about hiding the taskmanager completely from the kids/staff so they can't upset the machine BUT do provide a shortcut that will kill microsoft word. you could have a shortcut that ran an autohotkey script to kill word (or whatever other app that locks up frequently).

there's also a util that would allow you to create 'kill' shortcuts for specific applications but i can't remember the name of it at the moment.

perhaps my suggested alternative solution is pretty worthless - i don't know if you could get to the desktop or start menu when word locks up - so you wouldn't be able to run a shortcut anyway.

it's just a thought...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does anyone know of a TaskManager with filtered Task List?
I don't know of anything like that. But i could make you a TaskManager that would allow you to show only the processes from a given list.

I mean,having a program to which you'd pass a list of "terminable" processes and it'd allow you to close the ones from that list that exist at that moment. What do you think?