ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mark thread as unread - Side map - checkbox right hand side

(1/4) > >>

AbteriX:
Hi mouser,

1.)
i want to bookmark this or that thread.
I get lost in all this forums and sub-forums.

Perhaps we could get an option like "mark as unread"
so i see this or that post next time again
if i use "Show unread posts since last visit. "

2.)
Maybe your forum soft could generate a kind of side-map ?

3.)
For what are this checkboxes on the right side of  my threads ?

mouser:
bookmarked threads would be kind of nice idea.

there is a "mark as unread" button already :)

what checkboxes are you talking about?

by the way, there is a forum for the software that runs this board, Simple Machines Forum (SMF):
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php

and list of mods available (if you see one you want here, let me know):
http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php

Carol Haynes:
Hi interesting link.

Can I ask some dumb questions ? ....

I have never set up server side scripting etc. before but would like to do something useful with my website (it has been dormant for too long).

I have had an unused forum on that website for the last couple of years which is run by www.network57.com and it is either paid for or add supported. I don't like it too much and want to change it when I get round to a new web design. I like this forum but am not too sure how to proceed.

I have looked at Simple Machines website and it appears that provided my server supports PHP scripts and MySQL (it does) all I need to do is upload the files, run the server side installer and the forum is up and running. Is it really that simple?

Also is all the traffic restricted within my own webspace or do Simple Machines 'manage' any aspects of the forum? I suppose what I am asking is  is it a free standing package once installed?

Cheers.

In response to your question I couldn't see any extensions that I particularly want. As Stefan said it might be a nice extension to have a personalise favourite threads page (or a watched threads page) and I have already mentioned the idea that it would be nice to have the option of jumping to the first unread message in a thread rather than always starting at the first post - especially in multipage threads.

Carol Haynes:
Never mind - installed, up and running in less than 20 minutes (including download, upload and basic config). Excellent - and free!!!

FWIW You can get most recent posts at the top of threads (which solves my problem) by editing your profile.

One last question - is there anyway to turn specific child boards into separate mailing lists that you know of?

What I want to be able to do is to set up a number of private forums for my local outdoor club to quickly exchange messages regarding planned activities and some people prefer a web board and others prefer email. I want to be able to make individuals able to receive all messages (not replies) from a specific forum (or child form) and not others. I also want to make it so that some forums are only accessible by certain people (eg. club committee members).

Any ideas?

mouser:
congrats carol!

its very easy to make only certain sections available to certain people.
you just set up some member groups,
then you put people in different groups,
and you can say for each section of the forum which groups are allowed to access which sections.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version