topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Program to move/size windows  (Read 4613 times)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Program to move/size windows
« on: April 18, 2007, 08:33 AM »
I'm looking for software that will automatically size and move new windows when they come up. If it's a "known" window, it should put it into a memorized size and location for that specific window; otherwise, there should be a default location for new windows.

I just got a new work PC -- 6GB RAM, yay! We're doing all of our work now in a virtualized environment using VMWare. The thing is, the only way to get VMWare to use both of my monitors is to spread the virtual machines display across both as if they are a single very wide monitor. So now when a new window pops up, it inevitable comes up in the middle of the virtual display, which means that it's straddling the gap between the two physical monitors.

I'd like to be able to have it recognize, e.g., Outlook popping up, and put it on the right-hand side, the full width of that monitor and 2/3 of its height. When Visual Studio comes up, I want it to occupy the entire left-hand monitor. When some other random program opens, since it's not in the sizer-app's list, it default to the center of the right-hand monitor without changing the window size.

Does anyone know of software that will do this for me?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:59 AM by CWuestefeld »

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
Re: Program to move/size windows
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 09:06 AM »
AutoSizer - Freeware

WindowSizer - Shareware

ZMover - Shareware

AutoSizer is probably the one you want.

And for manually sizing windows for those specific dimensions you may not need all the time, but want access to quickly, use Sizer.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:11 AM by Nighted »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 09:07 AM »
Have you seen this thread
DONE: WinWarden - monitor windows and resize (and reposition) them
havent used it myself so dont know to what extent you can reposition windows
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 10:58 PM »
i second tomos' suggestion.. :up: i had the same problem and posted the request and Skrommel came up with WinWarden.. :Thmbsup: