ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Some questions abt coders

(1/3) > >>

mahesh2k:
Hi
I have some questions for you.

1) I want to know how u guys write such small utilities that are less than 1MB.Sometimes it includes even the installers.

2) Which programming language you use to develop the software or small utilities? whihc IDE?Please explain in brief.

thanks in advance.please answer my queries.

kyrathaba:
I'm not sure where you're coming from with this, but I'll give it a shot:

The overheard added to an application by wrapping it in an installation has grown smaller in recent years.  In one recent article somewhere here on the site, someone was talking about a freeware installer that claimed, if I recall correctly, to add less than 100 Kb.  I'm not sure what sort of utility programs you're referring to, but there are many, many useful programs well under 1 Mb in size even counting the installer.

db90h:
1. Developing native code in C/C++ usually results in size optimal executables. In contrast, using Visual Basic or some other high level IDE results in less efficient executables. The trade off is ease of programming (or learning to program) versus size and speed optimality.
2. Most small executables are compressed with an executable packer like PECompact or UPX. This reduces the physical size by usually 60-80%.

kyrathaba:
If you decide to try compressing your executables, I recommend PECompact for C# applications.  UPX doesn't care for .NET too well  :-\

mahesh2k:
Thanks for the compressions question. Do these softwares are designed in Autohotkey or something else? which IDE or compiler is used to create these softwares? How & where can i look in order to create rich small apps like one skrommel did?

Another question is there any tool that works like autohotkey and is cross paltform.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version