ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

Optimization Suggestion: Adjusted Priority_Range

(1/4) > >>

shmate:
Hi,

I think i have an optimization idea, it could be called Adjusted priority_range per process:
   The current version of PT tames all the process within the same global priority_range namely:
   [ idle   <->   below_normal   <->   normal   <->   above_normal   <->   high ]
   Which is good enough for the most common processes.
   But there are some significant processes that will not work optimally within this global priority_range. every
   one of this processes needs a unique Adjusted range to work better.

For example: processes that running multimedia content like Winamp.exe, Wmp.exe and even Iexplore.exe (when
   running embedded multimedia content like You-Tube).
   Certainly those processes which are CPU voracious occasionally deserved to be tamed and PT should lower their
   priority.
   But lowering them too much to the idle priority will cause interruptions and clippings in the multimedia content (!).
   So they need a unique Adjusted range in which the lowest level is below_normal  and not  idle. 
   The same principle fits for the boost function: boosting those processes for instance to the high priority will
   freeze the PC. So in the same way some processes need a unique Adjusted range in which the highest level is
   above_normal  or even  normal  and not  high.

In sum if we take the Winamp.exe process for example it's Priority_Range should be:
   [ below_normal   <->   normal   <->   above_normal ]
   Another example- the Priority_Range of my AntiVirus scanner should be:
   [ idle   <->   below_normal   <->   normal ]
   otherwise boosting it too high will freeze the PC   ( I'm using Kaspersky ;-)  )

Obviously PT should use by default the global priority_range to every new process.
   The user may change it individually to optimize some process.

Addition Edit (summing Hasi suggestions as specified in replies 4, 6) :

1] A functionality to define the initial ("basic") priority of a process - the process's starting priority. (like the functionality of the PRIO application:  http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html ).

2] A functionality to tune specific triggers (low & high) for each process. (the current global triggers will apply to processes with no specific rule).

3] A functionality to tune also the "default global priority_range" (which applies by default to all other processes which have no specific Priority_Range, as i mentioned above in my initial suggestion ).

If the idea is not clear enough , I would be glad to suggest additional explanations.   

Thanks  8)

shmate:
Hi

:feedback:
Any feedback or corrections are welcome  !

Thanks
 :Thmbsup:

mouser:
this is a good idea i think, and i plan to add it to next release, which will be soon after FARR gets released in august. finally. really. i mean it. :)

ElijahBaley:
Hi,

I had a similar idea to shmate and am glad to read that I am not alone. But in addition to that I'd like to ask, if it is possible or even suitable to define a priority hierarchy?
I.e.: if I burn a CD/DVD I want NERO to have high priority no matter what other programs are running at the moment, especially if for some reasons those other programs run with high priority also. VLC got also a high priority exception rule, because if I watch h264 encoded videos I certainly want every possible cpu time reserved for this application, but if VLC only runs for background playback of mp3 while NERO is burning those priority setups conflict with each other.
A possible way to cope with this would be to implement a feature which allows the user to define a certain hierarchy; i.e.: NERO>>VLC>>WINWORD>>...

Thanks for "listening"

Anyway, it's a great program...

Hasi:
I would apply shmate here https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8154.msg58008#msg58008  (above) . Additionally I would prefer to make the settings of basic priority by myself (for permanent use). And that, because of the problem I write here https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=10770.0 : If some Program started with normal basic priority (Taskmanager) and, because it has been forground application, priority was changed by PT to high, after a time (after taming) PT changes the priority to "normal". In those cases I would prefer to change the basic priority for example to above normal. As forground Application it would be 'high', as background Application 'above normal'. (And also if PT is not working).
 And then it could be, that one can select between 'cpu usage trigger low' and 'cpu usage trigger high' for each process. (or just divisions of trigger classes).
All could be Approximately like this:

Basic          PT Rule                  Trigger low - high            do not lower
normal        above normal                50       -   70   
high           high                                                           X
low            normal                          30       -  50 

or is that all stupid?

Hasi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version