ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Softpedia's 100% FREE Award

<< < (2/4) > >>

Eóin:
I tend to agree with you guys that unless they are hosting the 'tested' binary themselves then their claim about it's safety are largely meaningless.

In the past I always checked the user comments on download.com. You could filter them to only show the negative comments and then I'd fly down through them looking for mentions of spyware. Hardly fool proof I admit but it at least gave you an overall impression of the software.

These days I find myself relying on recommendations from reputable sources (Zaine you qualify as one of those :) ) or I try to stick to opensource apps which is perhaps a bit naive but you have to let your guard down at some stage.

Recently though I've seen a number of programs mentioned on Softpedia which I would trust in of themselves, as such I've found their association with Softpedia and it's 100% FREE award to improve Softpedia's rep.

app103- I see your point about bandwidth theft, it is quite irresponsible of them to provide direct links to your downloads, they really should instead refer people to your webpage. Perhaps you should look into some anti-leeching trickery?

app103:
app103- I see your point about bandwidth theft, it is quite irresponsible of them to provide direct links to your downloads, they really should instead refer people to your webpage. Perhaps you should look into some anti-leeching trickery?
-Eóin (April 17, 2007, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Setting up anti-leech would be really easy but would harm my ability to hotlink my own stuff when I want to. I was thinking about some other php trickery that would work more to my advantage. ;-)

What bothers me most is how botched the descriptions on some of the software is...and the fact they are using my content without even asking. They have stuff of mine I would never submit to a download site, for obvious reasons.

cthorpe:
Could you do some kind of anti-leech that was only triggered when softpedia was the referrer?

dk70:
Just to show how weak their testing is check out SpyShield http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/SpyShield.shtml - then go to rouge list http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm Different kind of crapware but should not be listed if they had concern for users - site dont bother with content of incomings. 1 user rating whatever excellent then excellent it is - Softpedia is a circus but may be some use if acting like a storage for hard to obtain programs.

app103:
Softpedia is a circus but may be some use if acting like a storage for hard to obtain programs.
-dk70 (April 18, 2007, 03:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

But they don't host the files....they only link to them. They store nothing. If the developer's site goes away, so does Softpedia's source for the files.

Could you do some kind of anti-leech that was only triggered when softpedia was the referrer?
-cthorpe (April 17, 2007, 10:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was sort of my thinking.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version