topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why Linux is better  (Read 14710 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why Linux is better
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 03:45 AM »
Zaine: you have a very valid point. The apps are a problem.Although it's usually affirmed that there's a linux equivalent for anything in windows, I'd never leave AHK, FARR and Winamp (although linux has some very decent music players, i don't think any of those compares to winamp). Also, I depend on XYplorer, but i'm quite sure there must be some good file explorers in linux.

That's the reason why i mentioned i'd like that all apps would be portable, it'd make a transition to another OS way easier!

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2007, 01:16 AM »
Oh I honestly can't say that Linux is "better" than say, Vista, especially when you appeal to specific platform applications. AutoHotkey is one. There are a dozen apps that can reproduce GUI scripts and hotkeys in Linux (Ubuntu has one built-in), but not hotstrings, for precisely the reason mentioned Gothi[c] mentioned — Windows API calls. Mac users dream of AutoHotkey, too.

that's like arguing that if i had written autohotkey for AmigaOS, AmigaOS would be automatically the superior OS.
If you start to appeal to "specific platform applications" you can always argue that A<B ;-)
If that app really is that crucial to you, then, for whoever sake, stay with OS-whatever, but please don't argue that the OS (that, if i really want to argue about the term "OS", has nothing to do with some user-space tool) is better because of that.
</rant>

this works (of course) in both directions.
i just think your argumentation technique is flawed.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2007, 01:34 AM »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 06:28 AM »
A sound distinction, gjehle! Thanks for the jEdit tip, Armando. I can't get the fonts to render well, but I like the editor. (Even after changing some of the settings in the text area of the Global settings.)