ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

RANT: High Software Prices!

<< < (7/22) > >>

Nudel:
What really does annoy me is when people do try to sell those small, simple, spare-time software products.-Me
--- End quote ---
Just to clarify, I mean when people sell them individually for more than a couple of dollars/quid. I wasn't having a dig at the DonationCoder concept which I think is pretty cool.

2stepsback:
wow!
This thread is an eye-opener for me.
I'd never thought you guys in America had money problems that actually affected purchase of software :huh: :huh:

as a little modification to what Zaine said ( ~ list of cheap vendors and programs ) I suggest that, on at least one long plain html page, we make a list of all of *our members here* who sell programs, along with the program names.

I don't know how it will affect the ethics or dynamics of the system, but that's mouser's headache ;) ;)

Such a page forms a reference point for members as well as visitors.

With my limited knowledge of Web2.0 and SEO, I think that if we do not set it up here, we could set it up someplace more visible - like pbwiki - which is "buzz"ing. mouser almost wrote a thesis the other day on why digg is messed up - pbwiki is one of the things that has made it to the front page.

Two things happen:
Good: people see dc more, see the list, the prices, start coming and signing up here
Bad: the jerks from alt 2600 start visiting more often - but they won't have work, because it's just a *basic* "nag screen"

Then put up a vote there (maybe referring to this thread  :Thmbsup: ) and ask people whether they would choose to pay for big companies and big names or real people with open ears, ready hands and warm hearts.
(I know I have some scope in literature ;) )

And pray that all the good folks start visiting dc :)

what say folks?

-2stepsback

app103:
as a little modification to what Zaine said ( ~ list of cheap vendors and programs ) I suggest that, on at least one long plain html page, we make a list of all of *our members here* who sell programs, along with the program names.
-2stepsback (April 18, 2007, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that was almost what mouser was trying to do here:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=4406.0

Carol Haynes:

-Nudel (April 18, 2007, 05:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

At least the Indian's use their trains ;)

rjbull:
Now CS3 is out and Adobe are charging UK customers 230% of the price they charge US customers.
-Nudel (April 18, 2007, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

In 2005, last time I was with a group of photographers who were keen on Photoshop, they believed the discount price Adobe charged its own UK staff was £40.  I.e., about one tenth or so of the commercial price.  I know that's no justification for software theft, but it seemed to ease their consciences   :o  Adobe were setting themselves up to be seen as rip-off artists.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version