topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: how to log boot process cpu utilization?  (Read 4615 times)

222fbj

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how to log boot process cpu utilization?
« on: June 07, 2007, 10:07 PM »
Is there an easy way to log/review CPU/process utilizatin during the (xp) boot process?
My start up time (finishing with Firefox loading) seems to be slower than usual - I'd just like to understand the cpu/time time used by the start up processes.  I know I could setup snmp for this but it's been awhile since I've done that and am hoping there is a tool I can just 'run' to record the data.

thanks

PS - There are a some entertaining picture galleries at 'dark roasted' (eg the google sign & 'really bad wiring jobs')  http://thrillingwond...lletin-bloopers.html

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to log boot process cpu utilization?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 11:28 PM »
There is a free Microsoft utility called 'bootvis' which does exactly what you want. One of their numerous semi-secret tools. I'm sure you'll find easily with a search on their site.

Good luck!
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 11:31 PM »
PS. Make sure that you haven't installed something that has turned your DMA off. I've had it happen on several occasions. You can use Nero or similar to check as most copy software (some at least!) normally checks DMA on program launch.
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

222fbj

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 08:36 AM »
Thanks for the info.

BTW - I just found another helpful tool - Runalyzer from the Spybot guys...  http://www.safer-net...runalyzer/index.html