Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 29, 2014, 01:53:24 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: InfraRecorder  (Read 18067 times)
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:43:20 PM »

Basic Info

Infra Recorder is a free CD burning solution for Microsoft Windows.

App NameInfra Recorder
App URLhttp://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net
App Version ReviewedVersion 0.42.1.0 (Unicode)
Test System SpecsPentium 3 733Mhz, 512MB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2
Supported OSesWindows 9x/ME/2000/XP/x64; tested on WinXP Pro SP2
Support MethodsHelp file included with the program. Other methods of support: the author's email and a very nascent FAQ on the website.
Pricing SchemeFreeware, donations accepted.
Author Donation LinkDonate to Christian Kindahl, the Author
Reviewer Donation LinkDonate to Lanux128, the Reviewer
Relationship between Reviewer and Product I am not affiliated with this product and its developer in any way.

Introduction

I have fond memories of Nero, which came with the first CD-RW drive that I bought years back. However over the years, I became disenchanted with Nero, the bundle-ware and began actively looking for a light-weight alternative. On such a journey, I discovered Infra Recorder - which I didn't know much about except that it uses cdrtools and the programmer is also involved with TugZip. However I was pleasantly surprised with the program's simple interface, and even more with the easiness of use.

Like most of the burners, InfraRecorder can work with audio, data and mixed-mode CDs. This program is also able to handle disc images (CUE, ISO) and RAW images, supports on-the-fly recording, erase rewritable discs and save audio and data tracks to files. Full list of features can be found at the website.

Screenshots of the Program

Main Window

About Box

Configuration

Infra Recorder's 'File' menu

Infra Recorder's 'Actions' menu

Infra Recorder's Wizard Mode

Who is this app designed for:

This program will be most useful to regular 'burners' in two basic ways. Firstly: those who do not need any handholding, which means with no wizard mode interruption, users can get down to the actual burning right-away. And secondly, for users who have their own choice of complementary software to aid them. In other words, this is a single program as opposed to suites provided by major vendors.

The Good

Light (about 3MB in zipped version), both options - installers and zipped portable available. Modern UI features such as drag and drop, explorer integration and very low system requirements (32 MB RAM and 7.2 MB hard-disk space). The author is actively updating the program, check out the roadmap.

The needs improvement section

The current version is quite good even though a tad bit slow to start-up, maybe it has something to do with my system, which 3 optical drives. Other than that, I have not encountered any problems at all.

Why I think you should use this product

This program is most suitable for users who want burn a CD or DVD quickly without the fanfare. However new users will not have much problems, either and there is also the Wizard-mode GUI similar of Nero Express (see screenshot above).

How does it compare to similar apps

I have looked at several others, namely DeepBurner, ImgBurn, SilentNight Microburner and Burrrn (audio CD only) while all the others have their own plus points but I find InfraRecorder is easier for someone on a transition as it much more flexible and the GUI is quite standard, therefore more suited to my needs.

Conclusions

I had a good time using InfraRecorder and since it's still in active development, you can be sure that things will only get better. With ample documentation, it'll be only a matter of time before you feel right at home. Do give it a try.

Links to other reviews of this application

I couldn't find any reviews, there's Wikipedia entry though.

lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:54:20 PM »

P.S. didn't realize this earlier.. Nighted had already mentioned InfraRecorder here..

Dr-Leech

Psychedelic Coder

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »

Really nice app..

I've using it some time ago bc Nero and those heavyweight tools.
Works like a charm..

Thanks for the review..

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 09:38:40 PM »

glad you liked it,Dr-Leech. btw i have also notified the author about this mini-review and DC and he has replied that he'll drop by to have a look.. smiley

clif_notes
Charter Honorary Member

Clif Notes Newsletter

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:52:15 PM »

Nice review Lanux!

Would you mind if I mention your review and post a little of it in my newsletter next week?
http://freewarewiki.pbwiki.com/NewsLetters

I always include a link back to DC and the forum post.

Best wishes

Clif

Devoted to promoting freeware and free information
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 11:01:51 PM »

no problems at all, clif.. actually it's an honour that you're considering my review for your newsletter.. smiley

zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 10:12:12 AM »

Thanks for the great review, Lanux. I did everything I could to get InfraRecorder to screw up but it worked every time, and for everything I wanted it to do. Well worth a donation to the author, indeed.

- zaine (on Google+)
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 09:02:07 PM »

thanks for the compliments, zridling.. smiley yes, InfraRecorder is very fine product.. imagine, it even prompted me to do a mini-review.. Wink

skywalka

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 10:43:48 PM »

To avoid installing Nero, an application that supports NRG filetypes is required.  I had a quick browse & InfraRecorder doesn't seem to support this.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 10:54:06 PM »

well, the author is actively updating the program and has promised look into the matter as an answer to such a query..

Source: http://infrarecorder.sour...rge.net/?p=21#comment-115

also, in the same thread, there is a suggestion to use this program in the meantime..

skywalka

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 11:05:56 PM »

Now where getting somewhere.

Thanx for that link.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 01:53:59 AM »

found another tool that does the same: nrg2iso.. Thmbsup

Quote from: website
This program converts Nero CD images into ISO-9660 CD images. Nothing more and nothing less.

Warning: This program can not convert audio CDs.

clif_notes
Charter Honorary Member

Clif Notes Newsletter

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 10:24:55 PM »

no problems at all, clif.. actually it's an honour that you're considering my review for your newsletter.. smiley

Hi Lanux,

Your review was just published. You can see it at this address:
https://freewarewiki.pbwi...ClifNotesNewsletter070429

Thanks for letting me show it off.

Clif

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 09:03:16 PM »

you're welcome, Clif.. smiley btw, nice work you're doing there.. thumbs up

clif_notes
Charter Honorary Member

Clif Notes Newsletter

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 11:28:59 PM »

you're welcome, Clif.. smiley btw, nice work you're doing there.. thumbs up

Thanks Lanux. Like most folks here, I do what I can with the time I have to give.

Clif

Hirudin
Charter Member

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 02:00:00 AM »

Sorry, didn't read this thread (I do have InfraRecorder installed though, I just haven't actually burned anything with it yet). But if you're looking to convert image formats, another option is to use a virtual CD-ROM, like Virtual Clone Drive (my current favorite) or Daemon Tools (there's also Alcohol 52% and surely a couple more). Mount the image, open your new favorite burning app and create a new image (or just do a "disc" to disc copy and burn it without changing file types). It probably wont be as fast as using a converting program, but virtual CD drive programs can be so useful you might just want to install one anyway.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 10:03:36 PM »

nice list, hirudin.. add this one too - Clone Drive..

http://www.elby.ch/fun/software/index.html

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 04:06:52 AM »

a new version of InfraRecorder has been released (version 0.45), featuring several bug-fixes and some new features. Full details in the changelog.

D/L: http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/?page_id=5

J-Mac
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 01:23:03 AM »

a new version of InfraRecorder has been released (version 0.45), featuring several bug-fixes and some new features. Full details in the changelog.

D/L: http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/?page_id=5

Hi lanux!

So, are you still as much in love with InfraRecorder as you were last year?  That's the true test of an app.   Wink

Thanks!

Jim

"I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath."
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 01:43:44 AM »

So, are you still as much in love with InfraRecorder as you were last year?  That's the true test of an app.
@J-Mac: this sounds like a trick question, like the time when a friend asked me when is my anniversary - in front of my wife! Wink

however i digress, if you're asking if i'm still using InfraRecorder then the answer is yes. but whether it's the only one then i'm afraid not because as a true DC'er, i'm always on the lookout for alternatives/bargains and a recent offer for a free version of Ashampoo Burning Studio was too good to pass.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.052s | Server load: 0.07 ]