ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Don't call it "the tray"!

<< < (7/10) > >>

Darwin:
How about hoovering up a xerox of a kleenex that someone has written all over with a biro?

OK, so two of my two examples are common in British English... I don't care!

CleverCat:
Curt - just goes to show how smart you have to be to have a good command of the English Language! :Thmbsup:

I am teaching my neighbour's 9 year old (Afrikaans) Son, as his Father wants him to speak 'real' English and not the local variety!

I am British BTW...

;)

Renegade:
When I was a little boy, my sister was a "slut". "Slut" originally meant "little girl" and had no sexual connotations. The word changed.
--- End quote ---

! How old are you, Renegade? On the west coast of Canada at no point in the last 50 years (that I am aware of) has calling a guy's little sister a slut been anything other than derogatory, inflammatory, and loaded with sexual connotations!
-Darwin (April 17, 2007, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

The examples there are more than just a few years old. A couple hundred or so. Never-the-less, the meaning of the word changed. Not in our lifetime, but still, it illustrates the point that the meanings of words (and what things are called) changes over time.

Another example would be "tissue" being called "kleenex" or "cola" being called "coke".

As yet another example, the origin of the word "f**k" comes from a word meaning "to thrust", as in to thrust with a sword. (Old Anglo-Saxon)

The above example with "slut" was meant for dramatic effect. I thought that was obvious in the context.

f0dder:
As yet another example, the origin of the word "f**k" comes from a word meaning "to thrust", as in to thrust with a sword. (Old Anglo-Saxon)
-Renegade
--- End quote ---
You've heard that mp3 too? :)

Renegade:
-Renegade
--- End quote ---
You've heard that mp3 too? :)

-f0dder (April 25, 2007, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I got that from a university class in Old Anglo-Saxon well before the George Carlin comedy routine. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version