topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Don't call it "the tray"!  (Read 29194 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Don't call it "the tray"!
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:47 PM »
this guy is quite adamant that we call Windows components the proper way or else... ;)

One of the most common errors is to refer to the Taskbar Notification Area as the "tray" or the "system tray". This has never been correct. If you find any documentation that refers to it as the "tray" then you found a bug.

http://blogs.msdn.co...003/09/10/54831.aspx
ws-dontcallitthetray-1.png

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Don't call it "the tray"!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Some folks get quite anal about some stuff.
Now who don't know what your refering to when you say "system tray"?

As if there ain't enough speech police around. :-\

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 10:09 PM »
Some folks get quite anal about some stuff.
Now who don't know what your refering to when you say "system tray"?

As if there ain't enough speech police around. :-\

Rather reminds me of the hand wringing and tut-tutting that goes on about applying the term "donationware" to mouser's software...

So, I'll yell it from the rooftops - mountaintops if I have to - I LOVE RUNNING DONATIONCODER DONATIONWARE IN MY SYSTEM TRAY  :-*

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 10:17 PM »
I thought the taskbar was where your apps go (icon and title), and the tray was the thing with the clock and the tiny icons.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 11:06 PM »
I thought the taskbar was where your apps go (icon and title), and the tray was the thing with the clock and the tiny icons.
exactly, that is how i understand it.. however, this guy introduces a new complication by claiming that users call the taskbar as the tray then proceeding to forbid them from doing so.. oh, talk about information overload.. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 11:37 PM »
Perhaps true, but never-the-less, it is correct now due to the massive usage of "system tray".

Let me give some examples...

A "gentleman" is not a nice person. In fact, they're generally real bastards. Oh... But that's only if you use "gentleman" in the original sense that it means "land owner". The meaning changed.

When I was a little boy, my sister was a "slut". "Slut" originally meant "little girl" and had no sexual connotations. The word changed.

Similarly, the way "system tray" is used makes it acceptable. i.e. "System tray" = "taskbar notification area"

From the article:
"But why do you care? That's what everybody calls it now, may as well go with the flow."

How would you like it if everybody started calling you by the wrong name?

Summary: It is never correct to refer to the notification area as the tray. It has always been called the "notification area".

Well, really, who cares that much? It's too late to change the world. Everyone uses the wrong phrase. But if everyone calls something by a specific name, then that's what the name is *commonly*.

Whether or not it is correct is besides the point. If you call it by the correct name, will anyone understand what you're saying? I'd rather be understood than be "correct". It makes my life easier and makes the lives of the people I communicate with easier as well.

When I say "blah", I mean that thing over there. If everyone understands that, then there's no need for me to call it anything else. If they don't, then I'd better find out what they call it and use that term.

The article's argument seems very "unixy" in the sense that "A" and "a" are not the same for a file name, but on Windows they are the same. OK, well the unix world is correct. But people understand the Windows way better. Case insensitivity makes sense for most people. Why not just give in and communicate with people in a language that they understand? It would be insane for me to start typing my bad Korean here - nobody would understand, but I'd still be "right".

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 12:12 AM »
When I was a little boy, my sister was a "slut". "Slut" originally meant "little girl" and had no sexual connotations. The word changed.

! How old are you, Renegade? On the west coast of Canada at no point in the last 50 years (that I am aware of) has calling a guy's little sister a slut been anything other than derogatory, inflammatory, and loaded with sexual connotations!

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 02:57 AM »
omgwtfbbqandsuch!

in totally unrelated anal news:

no anal comments for my OS.
i'll contiue calling the windows thingy systray too, just because (virtually) everyone expects linux to be like windows, i expect windows to be like my beloved linux ;-)
ok, enough jokes for today :D

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 03:28 AM »
Raymond Chen has the right to be anal, though...
- carpe noctem

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 03:09 PM »
I'm a big word cop. Personally, I think I'll make an effort to call that thingy by the correct term: the "Taskbar Notification Area" or maybe the TNA for short.

'Course, at the same time, I also use the words Tomorry and Libary. ...I can thank Homer Simpson for those...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 12:52 AM »
TNA - has a nice ring to it, Hirudin (smirk, smirk, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 04:39 AM »
Ah, the pure humor, Darwin! ;)
- carpe noctem

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 05:06 AM »
After reading Raymond's post about it a while back I started to try to use "System Notification Area" but I gave up and went back to "tray". Nobody understands WTF you mean and it's not exactly a catchy name.

Language changes. Things get nick-names. If you call somehing A and everyone else calls it B you can explain that it was originally called A but beyond that you've just got to deal with it, I think.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 12:39 PM »
I have forgotten where I found this - it's only a little off topic:

"English As A First Language"

We'll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes; but the plural of ox became oxen not oxes. One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese, yet the plural of moose should never be meese. You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mice; yet the plural of house is houses, not hice.

If the plural of man is always called men, why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen? If I spoke of my foot and show you my feet, and I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet? If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth, why shouldn't the plural of booth be called beeth?

Then one may be that, and three would be those, yet hat in the plural would never be hose, and the plural of cat is cats, not cose. We speak of a brother and also of brethren, but though we say mother, we never say methren.

Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him, but imagine the feminine, she, shis and shim.

Some other reasons to be grateful if you grew up speaking English:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
8] At the Army base, a bass was painted on the head of a bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) After a number of Novocain injections, my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
22) I spent last evening evening out a pile of dirt.

Screwy pronunciations can mess up your mind! For example...If you have a rough cough, climbing can be tough when going through the bough on a tree!

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England.

We take English for granted.

But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend?

If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Sometimes I think all the folks who grew up speaking English should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane.

In what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wiseguy are opposites?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm goes off by going on.

If Dad is Pop, how's come Mom isn't Mop?

Enough!!!!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 01:48 PM »
Ah, the pure humor, Darwin!

Yes, fodder, it is my subtlety that draws people to me... :P

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 02:04 PM »
I could get behind TNA.  :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 10:22 PM »
TNA sounds like some pro wrestling federation.. ;D Raymond Chen fails to realize even the terms windows, desktop, wallpaper are of metaphorical origin.. just like the way, in windows you adorn your "desktop" with "wallpaper" & you put away your "files" (not documents) into a "folder"..

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 12:35 PM »
Stumbled on this little article on slashdot today, and couldn't help but snicker because of the following quote:

There should now be a shiny red gem appearing in the notification area (Windows refugees, think "system tray") near the upper right of your screen. Right-clicking that icon gives you several useful options.

(emphasis is mine)
- carpe noctem

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 02:09 PM »
Curt: Your post has just made me think of how the English language resembles Mandarin Chinese in that we use accents instead of tonal variation. For example, the difference between garbage and a verb meaning "to turn away something offered" is the difference between "refuse and refuse. See?
And so many more of those examples can be attributed to "borrowed" words, archaic terms that have changed meaning, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

gjehle: Hooray! Something that MS can't threaten to sue Linux users for! All your systray are belong to us!!11!!!

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 09:43 AM »
T N A works for me. 

"Man, your TNA is full of excess junk..."

ChuckE

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 01:47 PM »
I'm all for a little more TnA on television.  ;)

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 11:38 PM »
It's a shame to see that somebody writing on MSDN could be so out of touch. Maybe he could check the listing of files on just about every Windows machine on the planet, with minor variations: C:\WINDOWS\system32\systray.exe
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 12:52 AM »
It's a shame to see that somebody writing on MSDN could be so out of touch. Maybe he could check the listing of files on just about every Windows machine on the planet, with minor variations: C:\WINDOWS\system32\systray.exe
:greenclp:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 07:52 AM »
He already addresses systray.exe in TFA...

Btw I call it "the tray" myself, but I still believe that Raymond Chen has the right to be pedantic about these issue.
- carpe noctem

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 08:54 AM »
He already addresses systray.exe in TFA...
Sort of. He says "I think the reason people started calling it the "system tray" is that on Win95 there was a program called "systray.exe" that displayed some icons in the notification area". Win95? This is 12 years later and it's still there. I guess that his making it sound like it was only around over a decade ago was what prompted me to ignore that part of his post.

Still, on rereading it, it sounds like he's saying that systray.exe only displays certain specific system status icons, and isn't a manager module (separate from Windows Explorer) for that area of the taskbar. If that's the case, I'll fall back to agreeing with most of the other folks here: language is about communication, and "system tray" is a more comfortable way to describe the specific Windows feature than "notification area". In my opinion, "notification area" is a technical description, not a name. However, I'd be willing to call it "status bar" or something else (not already in use) that's similarly casual and descriptive.

(As for that part of the taskbar, I sure hope somebody's redesigned it in Vista, because it's a very poorly designed, highly unreliaable UI in XP!)
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?