ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Don't call it "the tray"!

<< < (5/10) > >>

ChuckE:
I'm all for a little more TnA on television.  ;)

Cavalcader:
It's a shame to see that somebody writing on MSDN could be so out of touch. Maybe he could check the listing of files on just about every Windows machine on the planet, with minor variations: C:\WINDOWS\system32\systray.exe

gjehle:
It's a shame to see that somebody writing on MSDN could be so out of touch. Maybe he could check the listing of files on just about every Windows machine on the planet, with minor variations: C:\WINDOWS\system32\systray.exe
-Cavalcader (April 22, 2007, 11:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
:greenclp:

f0dder:
-Cavalcader (April 22, 2007, 11:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
He already addresses systray.exe in TFA...

Btw I call it "the tray" myself, but I still believe that Raymond Chen has the right to be pedantic about these issue.

Cavalcader:
He already addresses systray.exe in TFA...-f0dder (April 23, 2007, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sort of. He says "I think the reason people started calling it the "system tray" is that on Win95 there was a program called "systray.exe" that displayed some icons in the notification area". Win95? This is 12 years later and it's still there. I guess that his making it sound like it was only around over a decade ago was what prompted me to ignore that part of his post.

Still, on rereading it, it sounds like he's saying that systray.exe only displays certain specific system status icons, and isn't a manager module (separate from Windows Explorer) for that area of the taskbar. If that's the case, I'll fall back to agreeing with most of the other folks here: language is about communication, and "system tray" is a more comfortable way to describe the specific Windows feature than "notification area". In my opinion, "notification area" is a technical description, not a name. However, I'd be willing to call it "status bar" or something else (not already in use) that's similarly casual and descriptive.

(As for that part of the taskbar, I sure hope somebody's redesigned it in Vista, because it's a very poorly designed, highly unreliaable UI in XP!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version