ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Setup program for apps created with Visual C# Express

(1/3) > >>

kyrathaba:
Does anyone know of a setup utility that can create deployment packages for applications created using Visual C# 2005 Express Edition?  The express editions of Microsoft's programming IDEs are nice, and feature-packed (especially considering the cost), but they don't (at least, VC# doesn't) contain a Setup and Deployment project type.  I'm looking for a freeware tool that can detect whether a target computer has .NET 2.0 installed and can, with permission, install it if it is found to be absent.  I have used Inno Setup Builder successfully in the past for simple projects, but as far as I know, it doesn't include this functionality to detect whether or not .NET 2.0 is already installed. 

mouser:
it doesn't include this functionality to detect whether or not .NET 2.0 is already installed
--- End quote ---

i use inno myself and i would love to know a good answer for this as well, to detect presence of net2 and help user download and install it if not.

hamradio:
Inno Setup can include this functionality *if* you know how to do it.  There is a .NET 1.1 example of how a person did one for what he needed at http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/dotnetinstallerforinno.asp. 

My 2 cents is that I know you want to make it easy and all that, but my opinion is you could tell the perspective users they may need to install .net 2.0 before they are able to run your app and tell them where to find out if they have .net 2.0 and if they dont have it point them to microsofts web site where the download is.
As if you bundled it with it, then it would take more bandwidth than needed as not everyone might need 2.0. You could also offer two versions one with it bundled with it for users who doesnt after going thru the checks you state and another that is just the program.  Thats just my 2 cents on it. :)

tinjaw:
What doesn MSDN say about this?

Ruffnekk:
I use SharpDevelop for it. I don't really fancy the IDE itself, but it does offer a Setup Project type. You can open your C# solution created with C# Express and add the Setup Project in SharpDevelop!

Website: http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx

P.S.: You cannot completely edit the setup project from the C# IDE. SharpDevelop uses a different format, but it is very flexible and it does create an .MSI Windows Installer file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version