topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MAC: open source cataloger/tagger, CD-oriented  (Read 3280 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MAC: open source cataloger/tagger, CD-oriented
« on: April 15, 2007, 05:38 AM »
http://mac.sourceforge.net/

This is a bit peculiar. Worth trying before paying for a cataloger/tagger, you may find that what you use is already here. It looks really simple.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MAC: open source cataloger/tagger, CD-oriented
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:39 AM »
I wouldn't recommend this piece of software. I've used it extensively in the past, although more as a tagger than a cataloger, and my problems with it made me go the foobar2000 + Mp3tag route. The renaming function is essentially broken, and it doesn't recognize the whole gamut of tag types nowadays. Also, it was a pain to re-tag files, and I think that you couldn't add custom tags. Seriously, if you want a cataloguer, there is a good range of them compiled by tomos here and for a tagger there are really good options, like the freeware Mp3tag or almost any audio player nowadays. Add to this that the project has been abandoned by everyone.

In fact, Mp3tag is the only tagger I would recommend. I tried one of two commercial offerings (Abander Tag Control and Tag Clinic) and I went quite disappointed. The first one is a terrible work of GUI design, although it seemed quite powerful, and Tag Clinic is overhyped by some people, since it's a really dull program.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Lashiec,
What do you do with mp3tag that you cannot do with foobar? I have just started using foobar for tagging, and it looks quite impressive. I thought MM was good at tagging but foobar is much better.
Also, you can download album art using the coverdownloader program through foo_run... which grabs amazon + wallmart. If that's not enough, freedb and discog support! Copying tags from and to filenames is possible too. Never tried mp3tag, though. Is any of these easier in mp3tag?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Um, since I'm still running foobar2000 0.8.3 I don't have access to such luxuries ;D, but in short, foobar is capable of doing everything that Mp3tag, and maybe a bit more, after all we're talking of a full featured player, but still I think foobar doesn't have the capability of Mp3tag to obtain tag information from music databases like Discogs or All Music, among some minor things.

I know that the overlapping between the two is almost something of synergy, but still I prefer to use Mp3tag for my tagging needs, as I found the tag edition more natural, but maybe the improvements in foobar 0.9.x will change that (don't think so though...). Who knows? Give it a try to see if it's also good for you, it's quite common to have overlapping applications, particularly browsers ;)