topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: opera 9.2 is out  (Read 29126 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: opera 9.2 is out
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2007, 05:50 PM »
Corel products have been tormenting me lately for no reason, so I understand being puzzled over it.

There's no rhyme nor reason to this, either. PaintShop Pro X and XI had been driving me bat-shit crazy since early autumn, to the point that I gave up on them and bought PhotoFiltre (great app and thanks for the recommendation, Zaine!). For some reason about a week ago I fired up first X and then XI. Both were very well behaved (albeit with load times north of a MINUTE!) and quite pleasant to use - even resource usage was acceptable. *Something* I had installed 6 months ago but have subsequently uinstalled must have been giving them both indigestion...

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2007, 05:54 PM »
Like I said, opera is a great browser, but unexpected crashes at seemingly random intervals along with my inability to truely make the browser MINE by installing applications or "extensions" which allow me to work faster, better and easier are showstoppers for me.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2007, 06:02 PM »
I've been 'hooked' on Opera for some time now, despite the incompatibilities that exist with it and some web sites. Opera is fast, intuitive, has great page zoom/resizing, etc.. etc..

However, I think I've finally reached my breaking point thanks to continued terrible support of Opera by virtually all of Google's 'web 2.0' services. With Opera 9.0 gmail at least works most of the time, but there is an annoying quirk on occasion that causes the editor to be mis-sized, resulting in line breaks inappropriately placed. That continued quirk, along with all the other Google service incompatibilities is enough to make me go Firefox. I'm just tired of dealing with it... and don't care who is really to blame (I'm sure Google could do much better to support Opera if they wanted).

So.. cya Opera, as much as I love thee.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2007, 08:50 PM »
However, I think I've finally reached my breaking point thanks to continued terrible support of Opera by virtually all of Google's 'web 2.0' services. With Opera 9.0 gmail at least works most of the time, but there is an annoying quirk on occasion that causes the editor to be mis-sized, resulting in line breaks inappropriately placed. That continued quirk, along with all the other Google service incompatibilities is enough to make me go Firefox. I'm just tired of dealing with it... and don't care who is really to blame (I'm sure Google could do much better to support Opera if they wanted).

Same thing here. Now using Maxthon, and VERY pleased. Very RAM friendly, many many options, many many plugins, etc...
To me : much better than the ie7 it's based on.

I like Firefox but not as RAM friendly... And takes too much screen estate on my laptop 15'.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2007, 10:58 PM »
db90h, do you have JavaScript disabled by any chance? Gmail, Google Docs, etc. doesn't work without them. Check:

(CTRL+F12) Preferences > Advanced Tab > Content > Enable JavaScript checkbox > JavaScript Options button.

It should work then. Josh you make the point well — that browsers are very personal, i.e., you have to make them work with you and not fight you. For Firefox users, extensions let them do as much as they want or need to customize it. LOVED Maxthon and used it for years. But with IE7, they removed the one keyboard shortcut I used all the time — ALT+X — to lock the tab. Really wish Opera had that. You can lock the tab, but it's not the same behavior. Once they went to 2.0 beta, I moved on despite the elegance of its UI and options.