topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: opera 9.2 is out  (Read 28957 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: opera 9.2 is out
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 07:17 AM »
I like opera, it is by far the fastest browser, but I simply cannot use it until I can have roboform back incorporated into my configuration. I understand opera's need for "security", but at least give the user a choice. Locking us down to what the dev's feel is pertinent to a browser is like ford telling you that you have to settle for a stock engine or stock radio when much better alternatives exist.

I was with you for the longest time on this topic, but now that I have used Opera exclusively for a couple years I find that Wand meets my needs.  The only thing I really miss is the ability to edit (or even see!) my passwords in the Wand.  Otherwise, it has completely replaced Roboform for me.

I love Opera!

I've been a die hard fan of Firefox over the years but did purchase Opera at the time to encourage the browser. So, i have spinned Opera (and others) around over the years but still go back to Firefox.

Perhaps with these shortcut tips you will convince me yet!  Ha!

Wand feature is nice but you can't p.w. protect it.
Perhaps Opera will want to pick up on AVANT and Maxthon Beta version who now offer online i.d. and p.w. protection for your data. I was kind of hoping to see this rather than this Speed dial bit that really doesn't do anything noticeable for me on my DSL connection.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 07:55 AM »
Security

In the Security preferences you can manage your security certificates and set up which security protocols to use. Opera can also warn you about potentially unsafe situations.
Master Password

To prevent other people from using your certificates, you can set a master password with strong 168-bit triple DES encryption.

You will then be asked to enter your master password when you want to use your certificates.
Select a password that is impossible to guess and keep it secret
Set Opera to ask for the master password every time needed if other people have access to your computer or user account

You can also use the master password to protect your e-mail, news, and Wand passwords.
http://help.opera.co....02/en/security.html

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 08:07 AM »
Security

In the Security preferences you can manage your security certificates and set up which security protocols to use. Opera can also warn you about potentially unsafe situations.
Master Password

To prevent other people from using your certificates, you can set a master password with strong 168-bit triple DES encryption.

You will then be asked to enter your master password when you want to use your certificates.
Set Opera to ask for the master password every time needed if other people have access to your computer or user account

You can also use the master password to protect your e-mail, news, and Wand passwords.

Well there you go!
No more need for Roboform then right?

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 08:52 AM »
The problem with the Wand is that if something nasty happens (you forgot your password or you accidentally delete the passwords file), then it's over as it doesn't have a simple 'export' function to CSV or even TXT

Good to know. I'll make sure I keep a backup for that file, updated daily.

Nomadin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 10:22 AM »
The problem with the Wand is that if something nasty happens (you forgot your password or you accidentally delete the passwords file), then it's over as it doesn't have a simple 'export' function to CSV or even TXT

Good to know. I'll make sure I keep a backup for that file, updated daily.

One of my favorite features is that Opera is completely portable.  No (or little) reliance upon the registry.  I backup my work Opera directory and restore it at home (and vice versa) to maintain my Wand, bookmarks, history, etc.  Then I also have generational versions of the directory saved if needed.  (I use Winrar to add the date to the archive name, that is handy for multiple versions of backed up directories)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 10:48 AM »
That's why i use both opera and keepass. I keep all the passwords on keypass and when i enter them the first time in opera, i save them.

Nomadin: there's a way to edit the passwords. Well.. not edit. But delete and add a new one. Just go to tools->preferences->wand->passwords
Also, there are ways to get the passwords from opera. Something related to pressing ctrl-enter followed by escape, so that opera will type the password and not open the next page. Then, using a bookmarklet, you can read the password field.

Still, i'm with you: i also think opera should have a better way to manage passwords.

Earthcoder

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 10:51 AM »
speed dail is amazing such a cool add on
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 10:55 AM by Earthcoder »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 11:14 AM »
Security

Master Password

Well there you go!
No more need for Roboform then right?

Have you used roboform before? Becuase you seem to be missing the whole point of the application. Opera does not offer anywhere near the functionality that roboform provides. Its not just about remembering passwords, its about form completion (hell, opera doesnt even have autocomplete, something even the most basic browsers have). If Opera ASA really wanted users to swap, they would let them extend their browser in ways that they want to, not in ways the developer feels they should. Its also not about finding a way to SETTLE for what opera has, its about finding a way to use programs which go beyond what opera offers and gives the user what they want.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:19 AM by Josh »

Nomadin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 12:08 PM »
Have you used roboform before? Becuase you seem to be missing the whole point of the application. Opera does not offer anywhere near the functionality that roboform provides. Its not just about remembering passwords, its about form completion ...

Certainly I have used Roboform.  I have registered two copies and I do love the program.  I have 387 logins saved.  :)

But, Opera does have auto completion.  You can see it demo'd here http://www.opera.com...utorials/flash/wand/    Granted, it is not as acurate at identifying forms, but it still does the job.  Honestly, Roboform made it too easy.  It completed forms so easily that I was buying too much online.  Having to take a moment to complete part of the form has saved me some money from impulse buys.
;D   

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 02:35 PM »
If you miss the textbox completion from FF, try downloading and using this js (go to the url in the comments)
// ==UserScript==
// @name OpS - Opera input suggestion
// @author Maxim Volkov
// @namespace http://userjs.org/
// @version 1.0
// @description  Provides autocomplete feature for text input fields,
//         to all web sites.
// @ujs:category browser: enhancements
// @ujs:published 2006-01-28 18:27
// @ujs:modified 2006-01-28 18:28
// @ujs:documentation http://userjs.org/sc...ser/enhancements/ops
// @ujs:download http://userjs.org/sc.../enhancements/ops.js
// @exclude http://mail.google.com/*
// @exclude http://*mail.yahoo.com/*
// ==/UserScript==

borisbattle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 07:37 PM »
I don't think that "speed dial" is a good idea :(

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 05:20 AM »
I don't think that "speed dial" is a good idea :(
Good news, then: You can turn it off! :)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 07:00 AM »
The Firefox Showcase extension is somewhat similar, but Speed Dial is the result of some very creative thinking, a simple "picture-in-picture" function for nine different sites, allowing users to see if they've been updated or not. (Why didn't someone think of this years ago?)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 07:26 AM by zridling »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Yeah, that's what I thought the first time. The main difference is that the 'Speed Dial' uses defined bookmarks, and that Showcase uses the active tabs, so it's a bit more useful. Now, if Showcase wasn't a shit of an extension, bloated with options (a trend within popular Firefox extensions) it'll great.

A better resampling algorithm for the thumbnails would also be appreciated :)

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 01:54 PM »
The guy who make Showcase just released Speed Dial for Firefox  :) Is in sandbox of Add-on site so you will have to sign up https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/4810

Direct access to your most visited websites

With Speed Dial, you can easily access your most used websites. To show the Speed Dial tab, use the Speed Dial button (which can be added to the toolbar), or enter "chrome://speeddial/content" in your location bar.

To assign one website to Speed Dial, use the new "Set as Speed Dial" option in the bookmarks menu, or right click on the tab you want to add, and choose "Set as Speed Dial". That option is also available in the contextual area menu.

Speed Dial will be automatically loaded in blank new windows. It can also load in blank new tabs. To configure this, and other options, use the extension settings panel.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 03:46 PM »
Is this turning into a Firefox thread?

When i'm signed in, it tells me that i have to make some changes to my "user preferences" in order to access the Sandbox.
This is new to me. What praytell are these "user preferences"?

BTW, CPU on latest Opera jumped to 100% just a minute ago.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 04:05 PM »
the only times i have had opera jump to 100% is when i had 10 imap folders and 100+ feeds all being checked at the same time, on a dodgy connection

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 04:31 PM »
 :P Opera nerds!  ;D
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 05:48 PM »
I had a friend that switched to IE7 because his opera would jump to 100% every few minutes. Never understoo what it was, though. (i never got that, except when loading a giant image or flash..)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 06:28 PM »
I had a friend that switched to IE7 because his opera would jump to 100% every few minutes. Never understoo what it was, though. (i never got that, except when loading a giant image or flash..)

Probably just a quirk. Especially that i'm using the latest beta.
Testing the latest SlimBrowser alpha right now. It has the Roboform plugin.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2007, 06:49 PM »
I've experienced numerous crashes with opera when doing basic things like navigating BACK in history, reloading a page, or just leaving the browser idle. I've reported all of these with the crash log program they have on their forum, but never received any resolution on any of the crashes.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 10:46 PM »
Something's going on Josh — maybe a driver hanging up? I haven't had any problems with Opera since 9.x hit the scene. Luck on my part I guess.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 07:12 AM »
A driver affecting a web browser? I doubt it. If I am having a driver conflict with opera and opera alone, then something is coded horribly wrong in opera. These crashes seem to happen on any PC I use opera on. One time I was in the middle of typing a large email into my webmail site, and opera crashed causing me to lose 30 minutes of my time reconstructing said email.

Opera is a very fast browser, perhaps the fastest (IN MY OPINION) and it works really well, however, the crashes along with the fact that I am limited to what the developers feel I should use, make me stay away.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 12:32 PM »
Josh,

Opera is perhaps the fastest but i think what you've said points to something i've come to experience with over the years. It seems to come into conflict with other programs. I have an old version of Corel WordPerfect (8) and it seems to have this problem too.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 05:35 PM »
On second thought, Josh, I don't know what I was thinking. We all get that program that just wants to self-destruct no matter what. Corel products have been tormenting me lately for no reason, so I understand being puzzled over it.