topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A better DU Meter  (Read 4890 times)

WhiteLion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A better DU Meter
« on: April 14, 2007, 02:11 AM »
How about a DU meter that has the same capabilities has the orginal paid version with the added benefit that allows the user to see what program is actually DLing or UPLing in real time.....

Many times the original DL Meter shows internet DL and/or UPL going on in my system and even I get hard pushed trying to figure out what program is doing what.
It would be nice and quick to find that info inside my DL UPL meter....instead of me having to guess and then dig around inside my firewall...safer too ;)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A better DU Meter
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 02:40 AM »
I asked a similar question recently and was pointed at http://www.wireshark.org/download.html which helped me track down which app was constantly chattering. It is a really useful app showing you what is going on with your internet connection and it is free!

I used to use DU meter (just to monitor how much bandwidth I was consuming each month) but I do think that apps like that should be light touch on your system (which DUMeter seems to be). The trouble is the task you suggest really is not trivial - it is hard to track down what is happening at times because applications make use of other processes like SVCHOST.EXE, which is part of windows, and it isn't that easy to find out which app is responsible as there are often multiple copies of these other processes in use simultaneously.