ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows "safely remove device" thingie

<< < (3/8) > >>

app103:
I am wondering something...

There is a 'safely remove hardware' for usb devices, which is good for usb thumb drives and such...but what about CF and other types of cards? They can suffer the same problems on removal that USB devices can.

I have never seen a card reader that has a feature for 'safe removal' of a card. Why is this?

Hirudin:
Inresting... Yeah, it's odd that they don't let you "safely remove" flash cards with that icon... I guess MS doesn't consider a flash card as a device.

In the future, what you have to do is right-click on the drive the card is in and choose "Eject". The "Eject" option will not be on the list unless there is a flash card in there...

Also, in it's infinite wisdom MS put it RIGHT next to the "Format" item.

jgpaiva:
Also, in it's infinite wisdom MS put it RIGHT next to the "Format" item.
-Hirudin (April 14, 2007, 07:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

app103:
Inresting... Yeah, it's odd that they don't let you "safely remove" flash cards with that icon... I guess MS doesn't consider a flash card as a device.
-Hirudin (April 14, 2007, 07:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

It really shouldn't matter what MS thinks in this case, since they are not the manufacturers of the card readers.

You would think that somewhere in the driver/software packages that come with these readers, that there would be something that would pop a little icon in your tray for this purpose. This really should be part of the card reader software.

Since most of these card readers are usb devices, the icon for the safe removal of the reader is there...MS has done their job. It's the manufacturers of the readers that hasn't done theirs.

And I think it's very odd that not one card reader I have come across has this.

f0dder:
I think the issue is that card readers are seen as a removable drive - think floppy drive, zip drive, etc. You don't want to "unplug the drive", you want to "eject the disk".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version