topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: ctrl + tab (first in, first out history) for excel sheets?  (Read 24441 times)

cemole

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Where do all the birds fly?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ctrl + tab (first in, first out history) for excel sheets?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 05:52 AM »
I'm not sure whether it will be useful for anybody (I had to fish for it a little) but if you want to remove the arrows on the sheet once you clicked "Chase", you need to go to Tools > Formula Auditing > Remove All Arrows. Partial arrow removal option is also possible if you open the "Formula Auditing Toolbar".
(edited thanks to Perry Mowbray)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 12:10 AM by cemole »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 06:17 AM »
I'm not sure whether it will be useful for anybody (I had to fish for it a little) but if you want to remove the arrows on the sheet once you clicked "Chase", you need to go to Tools > Formula Auditing > Remove All Arrows. I don't know a partial arrow removal option.

Ah, yes: Sorry...

You can open the Auditing Tool bar, and on that Toolbar there are a number of functions that will both add Precedents and Dependants for the selected Cell and also remove them as well. There is also the "Remove All" function as well.

I was going to add a Clear button to Remove All, but I thought that was just duplication of existing functions. What the Chase or Follow does activate the referenced cell (if possible).

- Perry

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 08:28 AM »
One question.
Is there any way to switch workbooks, now that ctrl + tab has been overriden?
You can always go to view > switch windows (xl 2007) for a list, but that is pretty inconvenient.

Maybe an extra shortcut such as ctrl shift tab would be a good addition? Is there any other native xl shortcut?

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 09:08 PM »
One question.
Three question marks  ;)

Is there any way to switch workbooks, now that ctrl + tab has been overriden?
You can always go to view > switch windows (xl 2007) for a list, but that is pretty inconvenient.

I don't have 2007, so mine's under Window.

Maybe an extra shortcut such as ctrl shift tab would be a good addition? Is there any other native xl shortcut?

I had CTRL+SHIFT+TAB to go backwards through the view history (same as ALT+TAB & ALT+SHIFT+TAB in windows)

I don't know of any other native shortcut (apart from CTRL+TAB) and couldn't find one just now, but adding it through code would be extremely easy. In fact it might also be good as a Combo dropdown box as well (though it'd just be duplicating the menu... except that it could remember previously opened workbooks and open them again as well. Sort of a combination of Window + Recent File menu).

Do you have a preference for a Key Combination? I'd lean toward CTRL+ALT+TAB.

I think the ability to remember recently open WorkBooks in the current session is a good idea (I could never see the point of restricting it to 9), and a KeyPress to navigate through that list could work in a similar fashion (so that it's not scrolling but rather choosing)

- Perry

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 07:22 AM »
Perry, for some reason, when I moved yout addin to C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns, my 'other' favorite addin stopped working.

I can confirm that this is still happening. All addins are dissabled if a drop navigator.xls in that folder (!). Weird, no idea what excel 2007 may be doing different...
Do you have a preference for a Key Combination? I'd lean toward CTRL+ALT+TAB.
Looks good to me :)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 07:55 AM »
Perry, for some reason, when I moved yout addin to C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns, my 'other' favorite addin stopped working.

I can confirm that this is still happening. All addins are dissabled if a drop navigator.xls in that folder (!). Weird, no idea what excel 2007 may be doing different...

So just to confirm...

• You have ASAP Plugin installed and working
  • You pop Navigator into your plugin directory
  • ASAP stops working even though the ASAP Plugin is selected in Tools / AddIns

Odd: I've just installed it at home and everything works OK??

You can install Navigator somewhere else and add it manually as well. Have you tried that??

Weird is all I can say...

I'm working on the other stuff (after an Easter weekend unplugged  :) )

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 05:43 AM »
OK: here is a new version of the Navigator Add-In for MicroSoft Excel

What's New:
  • Added WorkBook switching (set to ALT+CTRL+TAB)
  • Added WorkBook Combo to the ToolBar (handy to reOpen WorkBooks that you've closed)
  • Clicking Follow on a previously Followed cell will hide the Precedents if displayed
  • Clicking Chase on a previously Chased cell will hide the Dependencies if displayed

All the Key Shortcuts can be edited in the Code easily if what I've set doesn't suit...

I'm happy to add any other Navigation type functions  :)

Let me know if there any problems

- Perry