topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: KMPlayer and GOMPlayer  (Read 28960 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
KMPlayer and GOMPlayer
« on: April 12, 2007, 07:07 PM »
I'm revisiting two excellent Korean media players that are surprising me with their polish and their small footprints. The KMPlayer doesn't even require installation, so you can throw it on a thumbdrive and take it and your media collection with you (you'll need to move the your preferred language .ini file out of the lang folder into the main program directory because the default is Korean). haven't played around with either of them that much, but what I am seeing so far is impressive. My mp3s sound great in both with no augmentation (add-ins or equalization) and they both handle a wide range of video as well. GOMPlayer is more polished but requires installation. It uses significantly fewer resources than the KMPlayer, though...

Ah well, who cares, right? I'm having fun playing around with both of them! I'm still using XMPlay as my default music player, for now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 07:14 PM by Darwin »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: KMPlayer and GOMPlayer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:16 AM »
Good tastes, Darwin. You've pinpointed the strengths of each. I fall toward Gom Player because of its setup ease and because it only downloads codecs as you need them. Oh, and I forgot, its high customizability factor (which KMPlayer also shares).

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Thanks for the links! I've been growing tired of The Core Media Player, there are bugs, but they never update... Annoying!

I used to demand a video player with a seperate video window, but I think with dual monitors I can forgo that requirement now...

Anyway, I think I'm going to give KMPlayer the shot first. I played with both programs, they both seem fine, but KMP has tons more options (not that I know what half of them do). As a person stuck in the Windows98 mentality (format every month or so to keep things working) I LOVE programs that I can install once and never have to install again (set the options once and for all). Also, on my system, KMP had better performance, well, until I turned on a bunch of video filters.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:27 AM »
Yes - they've both matured nicely. I had them both installed 5 years or so ago and they were good then but far less polished and not, if memory serves, as stable. I'm just glad that they're both available in multiple languages now - back then I only had access to the Korean language versions and used keyboard shortcuts for everything (F2 for open, etc.). Of course, I find myself using the shortcuts now, too, but it's nice to know that the more advanced options are available to me without having to use the hit and miss method! I'm still on the fence on which one I prefer... time will tell!

Black Mamba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:08 PM »
I've tried them both and they really are very nice freeware players.

The lack one big thing tough: proper support for HD files (720P and 1080P). Gom uses it's internal filters for HD and KM is based on Gabest Matroska splitter (pretty old).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 08:42 AM »
Hmm... interesting point Black Mamba. Not one that would have occurred/presented itself to me as I haven't yet tried to view any HD files (in any format on any device!).

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 01:28 AM »
KMPlayer is commended in Gizmo's latest issue.. :up:

ws-gizmo-kmplayer-1.png
http://www.techsuppo...ssues/al_current.htm

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 02:04 AM »
They are both pretty good. KMPlayer still put it's settings in the registry though. Not sure about GOM Player.

Personally, MPC is still the best.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 02:15 AM »
KMPlayer has so many settings I can see how this one could be missed...
Screenshot - 6_23_2007 , 1_10_02 AM.pngKMPlayer and GOMPlayer

Check that box to make a very large KMPCfg.ini file (mine is a whopping >27k!)
Screenshot - 6_23_2007 , 1_13_36 AM.png

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 02:19 AM »
Cool!
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Black Mamba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 03:17 PM »
I've given KMPlayer another try and I admit it's very good.  :up:

However, since I'm a HD addict, I've tried a couple of high definition movies: KMPlayer still have problems with those ones. The reason is the same: it uses some old and unoptimized filters. BUT: it's easy to replace them with external filters so this isn't such a big problem. Another small issue is the subtitle engine: it won't properly play ass subs (don't laugh :P).

If you are a newbie in video players segment or an experienced user, give KMPlayer a chance. It's freeware.

The distance between KMPlayer and my fav. player, Zoom Player, is smaller with every release.  :mad: ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 12:19 PM »
KMPlayer has so many settings I can see how this one could be missed...
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Check that box to make a very large KMPCfg.ini file (mine is a whopping >27k!)
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Thanks Nighted - I'd missed that one! I'm here, live, in Belgium. It's raining. A lot. Hard. Why'd I ever leave Vancouver Island?

artkaye

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Just got on this thread.
I'm hooked to KMP though I do not know how to use most of the settings. In fact my PC is connected to my home stereo system and KMP rocks the house so much 'she' gets angry. But for KMP 'she' cannot even stoop to conquer! That's how much I hold KMP in esteem.
However when i want something cool I go for XMP. I've just downloaded the latest version.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 06:13 PM »
I have been using KMPlayer since Gizmo's Premium # 144 and I really like it a lot.

-

But I still have the integrated Media Player Classic / K-Lite Codec Pack as my default:
http://www.majorgeek...om/download4844.html   :up:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 06:23 PM »
However when i want something cool I go for XMP. I've just downloaded the latest version.

Welcome at DC, artkaye!  :up:

Did you by any chance happen to misspell "XMP"?, or maybe have a link to the page you downloaded from?? - because the only relevant XMP I could find was last updated January 2001 (!!!); and so I think a link to the right XMP would be really nice!  ;)

:tellme:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 10:37 PM »
maybe artkaye meant XMPlay but it is an audio player..

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 01:35 PM »
maybe artkaye meant XMPlay

- most likely, lanux128; XMPlay is quite extraordinary. Only; I forgot about it, because I (too) am into media players only - in fact, I don't even use my expensive RealPlayer 10.5 Premium because it will not play my flash music files.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 07:41 PM »
...  I still have the integrated Media Player Classic / K-Lite Codec Pack as my default:
http://www.majorgeek...om/download4844.html 

I would like to precise that the new Media Player Classic not is version 6.4.9.0-something, but Media Player Classic Homecinema 1.0.9.0  :o

Of course it still is version 6.4.9.0+ but it was modified by some "Casimir666" - only, for almost two weeks I have not yet noticed any difference... but they are there: http://tibrium.neuf.fr/

http://sourceforge.n....php?group_id=170561
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:45 PM by Curt »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 11:15 AM »
짜증나~!  >:(

Hey! What about that other very cool Korean media player, ALShow;)

You guys are absolutely killing me! I've been pushing for some really cool things in ALShow, got them, and it's just about ready for release... I don't want to spill the beans quite yet, but the v1.64 version is really going to blow GOM Player away. (I'm not a big fan of the chaebol — Little trivia for you: GOM is from Samsung...)

I would soooo love to be able to post a dev. build here because the new stuff is just so good... Give me a little time and I'll come back with some goodies for the DC community!  :Thmbsup:

Actually, come to think of it, I should get them to push the version to v2... The new toys are far more than just a tiny addition.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 12:49 PM »
짜증나~! 

;D 
- Yes, the Koreans (and the Russians) are marching!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 01:02 PM »
Hey! What about that other very cool Korean media player, ALShow

ALShow is a video player only. Not even MP3.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 03:14 PM »
Little trivia for you: GOM is from Samsung...)

Whoa! Those guys are everywhere. No wonder that they have so many lawsuits pending. And we thought Microsoft was monopolistic... Anyway, good to know, it was killing me not to know anything about that player, as the webpage is almost empty of information like that.

So your ALShow looks good. What's up in South Korea, with so many independent developments of multimedia software? I wonder if the ubiquitousness of high-speed Internet have something to do with it... And what's this? Codecs included? Tell me about those :tellme:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 03:45 PM »
And what's this? Codecs included? Tell me about those

24 video codecs, none for audio formats - not even mp3.

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 04:09 PM »
For me, best player + codec pack I ever used is K-Lite Codec Pack FULL version (which bundles Media Player Classic). Be sure you download the FULL version of the pack, which lets you play almost anything without having to looking around for codecs.

As for Media Player Classic, the player itself is lightweight, full-featured, and free (open source) -- just can't be happier with it. :)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 04:13 PM »
I see you command the dark force indeed... I'll be showing my CCCP + Zoom Player to best your patethic little choice... wait, that's not how a knight from the light side should act... ;D