topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Post your FARR v2 Plugin Idea Requests Here - Plugin Writers Read In  (Read 251879 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The FARR v2 plugin sdk is out (it's in the non-public farr v2 download; email [email protected] if you don't have it yet).

So I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where users could post ideas/requests for plugins, that coders might consider implementing.  So have at it!

ps. Make sure you check this thread with the first plugin made by a dc member: https://www.donation...index.php?topic=7998
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 11:30 PM by mouser »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would like to be the first person to suggest a plugin.

My idea for a plugin is to create something similar to DirectAccess. Allow a user to be typing in any application, and type an alias (ex: ftp) and a tooltip style popup is displayed above said text offering a hotkey combo which can be pressed to launch said alias. This could even be expanded to allow for arguments to be passed as well by pressing some key combo to focus the tooltip box and type in an argument.

What are your thoughts?

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Until there is a database/index feature in FARR, how about a plugin that'll search the index made and maintained by Locate32?

Locate32 -> http://locate32.webhop.org/

Total Commander has a plugin that can search the Locate index, for ultra fast searches in the file manager. Take a look at this thread for details: http://www.ghisler.c...iewtopic.php?t=14087

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was thinking this myself, but not as a plugin, as a core feature..

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
plugin to search del.icio.us bookmarks, it would be fantastic !

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i like this idea a lot, not just for delicious but it would be nice to add to the bookmark searcher the ability to get your online bookmarks from various sites like delicious and include them in searching.

the source code for the farrfox plugin that i wrote to search firefox, opera, and IE bookmarks is included in the farr plugin sdk (it's written in borland c++ builder, sorry msvc'ers), so it could be extended to do this by anyone who wants to try..

or of course a new plugin could be written from scratch..

great idea. i'd certainly send one of the very rare DC Plugin Creator Mugs for this one.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
and for the one who asked for it ?  :D

gregabear

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

I posted this over on the version2 forum and mouser suggested that I post it here as a possible plugin idea.

...what is the possibility of adding support for UNC paths?  It may be an impossibility, but it's something that would really be useful in my daily work.  I guess what I'm meaning is if I type "\\server", it would list any computers on my network that match that and so on with the shares, etc.  Make sense

So, just to be sure everyone understands, if I type in "\\", FARR should start listing computers on my network.  Once I select a computer and hit TAB, the shares should come up in the window.  Then when I select the share, it opens the folder.

Anyone think this would be possible?

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,
I posted this in another thread :

What I'd really like a pluggin to be able to do is :
- Searching phone + emails, etc. in Outlook Contacts
- Searching Calendar items in Outlook
- Searching Tasks in Outlook

Many of these things are already embedded in X1 or Copernic. So, *maybe* FARR could be made to send terms and arguments to X1 and/or Copernic ?

Maybe FARR could be made to use any other popular desktop search (x1, Copernic, Google...) index ?

A.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If I had some time this weekend or next week, I could give a try to the last idea. First, I have to find if desktop search programs have the necessary APIs (or command-line switches) to do that. Then, I've got to learn a bit about FARR inner workings, but it could be an interesting C++ exercise, providing that it won't be very difficult... but I'm not promising anything. Also, it seems mouser have some interest in developing this (and who don't)

Earthcoder

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Plug in for searching with in files, full details of one i need is here: https://www.donation...31.msg57826#msg57826

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
to jump on Earthcoder's bandwagon, i would also like to see a simple plugin which would load a set of text files (maybe in its "Notes" subdirectory or let you configure where), and then when you trigger it would search through the lines of text matching them.  When you select it could copy the text from the line to the clipboard.

i think it would be a useful plugin for keeping and searching through simple text notes.

note that the farr plugin system is quite well suited for this, can can handle all filtering and matching of lines, and so will do most of the work.  it also includes a feature to copy text to clipboard so it's easy.

my farrfox plugin in fact does almost exactly what this plugin would do, except it grabs url bookmarks from a text file, so perhaps i should just write this plugin myself.. if no one does it by the end of the week i will.

hornsts

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Mouser,

I have an alias group containing commands for an application (Totalcommander). As this application has a lot of commands (repspectivly menu entries), which I can't always remember, I want to use FARR to search in the commandlist and trigger the approriate command in Totalcommander. With the help of an external AHK-script I was able to do this like I wanted it to be.
But know I have the problem, that my alias group would contain 390! commands. While FARR is running I can paste all commands into the appropriate group and use them. But when FARR is restarted, only a small number of commands is left. I looked into the FindAndRunRobot.ini and found that a line, which represents the group, can only have around 2050 characters.

I like it very much to search a trigger commands via FARR instead of navigating thru endless menus. So I made 25! alias groups triggered by the same alias. While this is working well, maintaining the groups is obviously quite difficult.
It would be nice, if you could extend the character limit as a quick solution to this problem. But I think this is a perfect idea for a plugin, as all available commands are stored in a textfile. Sadly I'm not experienced enough in the available programming languages.  :(
Do you think that this is possible?
And if yes. Is anybody out there, who can make or help me to make (in VB6 :-[ or VB.NET) such a plugin?

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I support this  :Thmbsup:

@mouser, i already suggested that it would be a great idea to be able to use an external text file as a "results container"
for example, it could be implemented right in the results box, instead of having the different results, we could have the path of the text file:

remplace :
FARR - Help | restartsearch gohelp
FARR - Show All Known Aliases | restartsearch agroups
FARR - Open Options Dialog | restartsearch gooptions
FARR - Configure Toolbar | restartsearch gotoolbar
FARR - Show About Box / Enter LicenseKey | restartsearch goabout
FARR - Visit Find+Run Robot Web Page | restartsearch gowebpage
FARR - Show Launch History | restartsearch historyl
FARR - Show Search History | restartsearch historys

by :
resultstextfile = c:/FARRcommands.txt

it could also be a mix :
FARR - Show Search History | restartsearch historys
resultstextfile = c:/somecommands.txt
FARR - Visit Find+Run Robot Web Page | restartsearch gowebpage
resultstextfile = c:/someothercommands.txt

it would then be easy for many users to update/modify those text files without interfering much with FARR (i would for example create a button in dopus to add a shortcut to a folder in an favorite alias..., i would also create a small ahk script to add a url in a url favorite alias...)
Does it make sense ?

Keep up the good work, nitrix

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
nitrix-ud, yes, i will be adding this actually, i think its a good idea.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
great you are my hero !  :D

Dr-Leech

• Joined in 2006
  • Psychedelic Coder
    • View Profile
    • site
    • Donate to Member
Yubnub integration.

This should be great to access all the web using shortcuts.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
there is already a yubnub alias in farr 2

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
since more & more of my programs is linked in LaunchBar Commander, a plugin to search into LC's *.mcf files would be cool.. 8)

ivanv

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know if this would apply to a program like FARR, but how about something to index PDF, CHM, LIT, and other kinds of eBook files?

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A code snippet manager would be great !

you specify a folder, let's say C:\Documents and Settings\Nico\My Documents\Snippets
this folder contains sub-folders with textual files (.css, .htm, .php, .js, etc.)

The plugin would index those files along with their content!

idealy the results window would show the file names + a text snippet of the file
then we you would select a result it would copy the file content into the clipboard (or you could open it, as an alternative... to modify it)

Hope someone is motivated  :Thmbsup:

Cheers, Nitrix

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Until there is a database/index feature in FARR, how about a plugin that'll search the index made and maintained by Locate32?

Locate32 -> http://locate32.webhop.org/

Total Commander has a plugin that can search the Locate index, for ultra fast searches in the file manager. Take a look at this thread for details: http://www.ghisler.c...iewtopic.php?t=14087

Use Locate32 with FARR

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Plugin idea]

msn plugin = index all contacts

to start a chat, do the following : msn john + enter

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just gave Keybreeze a try and came running back to FARR! Having said that though, it has a nice feature. Typing keyword "note" allows you to create a post-it style desktop note. I know FARR has addnote/viewnote, but this desktop sticky note is pretty cool.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
maybe someone can write a plugin to interface with the best free+pay sticky notes apps, so you can add stickies from farr.